Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

A friend just asked if I could help him sell his Pakboat XT-15 solo which he bought in 2011 and has only used about 4 times. I have to get it from him and inspect it -- I think some of the skin retainer bungees on the frame may need to be replaced (he left it set up for a few years and they had stretched out the last time I set it up after borrowing it from him.) If I can fix those, it's in excellent condition and is the red deck with black hull and grey trim. I think he also has a spray skirt for it. These kayaks were around $1500 new if I remember correctly. Boat weighs 39 pounds and he has the original duffel bag for it. Lots easier to set up than my various Feathercrafts, or even my newer Pakboat Quest. Since the components are the same as the XT-17 that Pakboat still sells, you can still get accessories for it, like the inflatable or rigid foot pegs (we had just rigged a PVC pipe and pool noodle foot brace in it.) I told him we might be able to get $800 for it -- they rarely come up for sale used since Pakboat discontinued that size. It's a great model even for larger guys or anyone that wants to kayak camp due to the huge and easily accessible bow and stern hull spaces. I used it a couple of times and it's a very comfortable boat that handles comparably to a similar proportioned hard shell.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Last edited by KerryOnKayaks on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:28 pm 

I've replaced the stretched out retainers since posting this ad. So the boat for sale is in "like new" condition. I will post a link to photos in a few days (too cold and windy outside this weekend to set the boat up!)

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:00 pm 

I mentioned this in another thread, but have you contact Pakboats to see if they might be interested in buying it back? I think they would since they could refurbish it if necessary, then sell it on their web site.

They probably wouldn't give you as much as an individual buyer, but it might be more efficient if you want to be rid of it sooner rather than later.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 pm 

I've set up the Pakboat XT-15 that I have for sale and posted photos of the actual boat on this Flickr album:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodle ... 1206511416

If you click on each photo, most have additional notes specific to that image.

It's kind of clogging up my guest room right now so I will probably break it back down in a day or two. I hope the pics will reassure any potential buyer about the condition. I have also annotated the rather vague instruction manual from Pakboat to make it a bit easier to put together for the novice.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:46 am 
faltbootemeister

The Pakboat is in great shape. Wish I could say I was interested but I have a Pakboat Swift that I'm trying to sell (never really warmed up to it. Felt more like a solo canoe than a kayak). But I just wanted to compliment you on your attention to detail and your passion for folding kayaks. Your posts are like a dense and tasty energy bar I got at REI.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:13 pm 

Thanks, Jeremiah! I'm glad to hear somebody views my 15 year obsession with folders positively. By the way, I would be very interested to know which energy bars from REI are actually delicious. The few I've tried were like what I imagine compressed yard waste would taste like.

I did get several bites on the XT-15 though a couple were from outside the US and shipping fees were an issue. I have an interested buyer in Maine who turns out to have a sister living not far from me in PA so I think we will get the sale worked out this coming week that will save the hassle and expense of shipping.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:21 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi Kerry,

I was hoping I made you chuckle with my comments. You certainly got me laughing. You're right, most of the energy bars grow old fast. There was one that was like a big brownie with almonds in it that I loved but over time I thought it was a little dry. You could probably do much better making your own.

I was also being serious too. With the depressing state of folding kayaks being what it is, your passion for them is very welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:22 pm 

The XT is sold!

I'm glad he bought it before I convinced myself to keep it in the fleet. Dismantling it this morning to pack it up reminded me again how cleverly engineered Pakboat's products are.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15