Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Quest 150 kayak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:17 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Personally, I prefer to peel back the deck and partially unscrew the valves while the kayak is still in the water. I'd be worried that with that black hull upside down on a car roof things would get pretty hot very quickly. But then it can get pretty hot where I've lived with folders and after rupturing a Fujita sponson some years back while leaving the boat upside down in the sun for less than 5 minutes I've learnt to have to be super careful

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Yeah, I blew out the seam in a sponson tube in my first Feathercraft by leaving it inflated on a hot day on the roof rack. Patching a Pakboat sponson is a piece of cake. But Feathercrafts have a vinyl sponson tube that slips into an open ended fabric sleeve inside the sidewall and in order to extract it you have to turn the entire skin inside out. This is a nightmare, since the rigid integrated bow and stern are hard rubber and the boat is all one piece. It took me over an hour to invert it without damaging the skin components. Then I stupidly extracted the blown tube without tying a string to the lagging end so I would have a way to pull the mended or new one tube back in (I had already spent $60 on a new tube from FC). Fortunately, since I am an electrician by trade, I had a flexible nylon fish-tape and was able to pull the new tube back in.

I kept the ruptured tube and could probably repair it if I ever needed another replacement, though I am not sure how well the standard adhesives hold up to high pressure.

I carry a small roll of EternaBond waterproof roofing membrane tape in case of emergency hull puncture repair. Have not used it on a boat yet, only on my vintage motorhome. Stuff is ugly (sickly grey with tarry black polymer adhesive) but it adheres even underwater and creates a bombproof bond.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 pm 
forum fanatic

Patching your Feathercraft bladder is easy - once you have it out of its sleeve. The nice thing about Vinyl or PVC (they are the same) is that there are very good adhesives that are easy to work with. The patch needs to be PVC as well so that the adhesive is compatible with both bladder and patch. It is like patching an inner tube, except that the materials are different. HH-66 is a good adhesive. So is Vynabond (not sure of the spelling). Pakboats used a similar bladder design (PVC bladder inside fabric sleeve) for one season, but we found that it was too much of a pain for the reason you mentioned. It was also heavier. The adhesives I mentioned tolerate heat pretty well, and in use the air pressure pushes the bladder against the sleeve, which reinforces the bond.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I've patched before -- inflation tubes in air mattresses, flotation bags (which I always use in my skin on frame kayaks) and even one of the tubes in the XT-15. The first time we set up the XT-15 we got the seat frame in wrong and part of the hardware poked a small hole in the lowest tube on one side. We did not discover the leak until we got to the launch site and had failed to bring the patch kit. But we found that deflating the same tube on the other side allowed us to paddle that day. Fixed it when we got home, using the kit, and it was very quick and easy. NO problems since (once we figured out how to properly situate the seat.).

I've used the adhesive to add rub strips on the keel of the Feathercrafts also.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:14 am 
forum fanatic

Our container with the Quest 150 arrived last week, and I had my first chance to paddle a 150 from production this weekend. There were no surprises. The only real difference from the pre-production samples is in the side material of the hull. The tightly woven 2000 denier polyester substrate looks and feels tough, and the fabrics promise to hold up well. For those who are into technical detail, we have the same 2000 D polyester substrate in sides and bottom. The sides have a black .15 mm TPU lamination on the outside and just a light pu sealing coat on the inside. The bottom has the same 0.15 mm TPU lamination on the inside and a 0.25 mm TPU layer on the outside in addition to a thin TPU wear strip welded on under the keel.

I enjoy the 150. Hope (some of) you will too!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 am 
recent arrival

Does anyone know if this kayak will suit a paddler of about 6´2-6´3?
I´m not heavy. Only around 175 lbs.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Call Alv at Pakboats and ask. He is also tall, thin, and Norwegian ;-).

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:45 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I should think so if you get it with the very good optional yakima footests, but Alv can confirm if you call with your inside leg measurement - there’s lots of room under the Quest decks

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

Post subject: New owner
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 pm 
forum fan

With many thanks to Kerry for suggesting a folding kayak to me, and Alv who offered me his pre-production Quest 150, I am the proud owner of a "new to me" Quest 150. I believe it is the exact model featured in the Pakboat assembly video which was my salvation yesterday for the initial assembly.

I love the kayak, and attracted a bit of attention at the lake with several paddlers asking me about the benefits of a folding kayak. I found I had to release most of the air from the seat bladder to achieve a stable feeling, but once dialed in appropriately, this kayak tracks well, edges well, and was a delight to paddle. I look forward to many outings in new locales with my folding Quest.

For other Quest owners, is it normal for the snaps at the foaming to repeatedly come unfastened? I am thinking it is because it is so new and perhaps needs to "stretch" a little. It did not seem to create any issues, but was the only aspect of the kayak that I may need to learn to adjust.

Thank you for all the advice as I searched for a folder.

Regards,
Adrian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Congratulations on your Quest 150, Adrian!

i'm very curious about how quick it is to assemble without the earlier model's extra chine bars

The coaming snaps do seem to get better after a while but I think this may be due to more careful positioning of the coaming tubing on my part

Simon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:03 pm 
forum fan

I'm almost embarrassed to admit how long my maiden assembly took. I struggled with the seat and the rudder assembly. I'll repost after 2-3 assemblies to give a more accurate read. I look forward to bringing a kayak on many of my travels to expand my paddling horizons. Thanks for all the info I gleaned on this site.

Abz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'm curious about why you need a rudder...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:47 pm 
forum fan

I bought the pre-production model which already had a rudder installed. I'm not a fan of rudders, and will likely remove it.

Since the rudder comes with foot pegs (otherwise optional), I won't suffer financially. The only way I might actually use the rudder is with a kayak sail that I have yet to play with.

While I am not a fan of rudders, I was impressed with how well Pakboat incorporated this into a folding design.

ABZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:09 pm 
paddler

My first assembly also took an embarrassingly long time. The second time I was 30 minutes faster, but it was still very slow. I hope to get it down to 30 minutes total, but I'm planning on car topping most of the time.

Haven't gotten it in the water yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:37 pm 
forum fan

Update:

I had left the kayak put together since my maiden assembly since it took so long to build.

I disassembled, re-assembled, and disassembled again in preparation for a trip.

Take down time is about 15 minutes. Assembly is 25 minutes (not bothering with the rudder, which I removed).

I can't wait to paddle South Carolina.

ABZ