Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pakboat single kayaks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 am 
faltbootemeister

I recently used a Pakcanoe in Alaska and was very impressed with it. I've been keeping my eye out for a used single kayak to use around my home, in Chicago, and thought maybe I should look for a Pakboat. But there are a number of different models, and I'm not sure which would be most suitable. Is there anyone who knows these kayaks who could offer a quick comparison of the different models?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:20 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi there. It would help if you could first give us an idea of your size, intended use and priorities. How important is versatility to you (1 or 2 persons)? Do you want , something cheaper, smaller and easy to assemble (Puffin series for 1 or 2 or both), something fast for a smaller paddler (Quest 135) or something big, tough and stable for a larger paddler (XT series for 1 or 2 or both)? Something new (Quest 150?/XT 17/) or second hand (Earlier Quests, Puffin Swift, XT 15). It doesn't help that the Pakboats webpage is temporarily down

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:32 am 
faltbootemeister

I'm looking for a used single that is not too complicated to assemble, is less expensive and that I can use mainly on flat waters around home--i.e., Chicago. I'm not small--about 210 lbs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:03 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

It sounds like a Puffin Swift would suit you best, if you can find one

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

overland wrote:
I'm looking for a used single that is not too complicated to assemble, is less expensive and that I can use mainly on flat waters around home--i.e., Chicago. I'm not small--about 210 lbs.

Hmm... If you won't be carrying much gear a discontinued used/demo Quest 155 would be a great, affordable option. The new Quest 150 would probably also work. Even though it's a new model the price is pretty reasonable.

If you'll be doing longer trips the XT-17 might work as well. It's an awful lot of boat for an average size solo paddler, but if you're fit for your size it might work.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The puffun swift has fewer tubes so is easier to assemble than the Quest 155 or XT 17 (but not the Quest 150)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm 

Used Pakboats are rare, but there are two posted for sale presently on Craigslist, either of which would be good options for you.

A guy in Bellingham, Washington, has a Quest 155. I have the smaller Quest 135 and though the assembly is a little time-consuming, I can set it up now after some practice, in less than 30 minutes. Great kayak, by the way (if you get this one, I've posted a detailed photo sequence on set-up that is much better than the instructions that come with the boat.) It will cost you close to $100 to have it shipped from there to Chicago. I just paid $85 to ship a heavier Pakboat (an XT-15) from Pittsburgh, PA, to Maine.

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/6069423313.html

The other for sale is a Puffin II in Albany, New York. The advantages of this model are simpler assembly, being able to use it with or without the deck and the ability to use it as either a solo or a tandem. It will not be as fast as the Quest. I have an older 12' Puffin solo -- these models are wider and not quite as rigid as the Quests but are certainly fun and easy to set up -- you can find several YouTube videos of people using them in various settings. It looks like the folks in Albany are selling this one without a deck but you can buy solo and tandem decks from Pakboat (their website is still down as of today, April 19, so unfortunately you can't take a look yet -- Pakboat makes great kayaks and has excellent customer service, but they are a small company and are not all that diligent about maintaining their website.)

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/6075006727.html

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:51 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Overland.

Folks here seem to be steering you towards the Pakboats kayaks, and you mentioned being interested in one of their canoes (which are heavier, have different hullforms, and are heavier-duty).

I suggest setting up alerts for yourself on both ebay and craigslist-- I see them there occasionally. But you best course may be to contact Alv at Pakboats (pick up the phone and call him-- he tries to keep up with the email, but it's not his style). Truth be told, the canoes are his first love, and he usually has seconds or demo boats that he offers at lower prices.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:16 pm 
faltbootemeister

I actually own a Pakcanoe--the one I took to AK--and have been impressed. It's a great canoe for someone who is traveling by air or who doesn't have room for a regular canoe--which we don't. (No place to keep boats.) That's why I was wondering about the kayaks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thank you. Sorry I didn't read the OP carefully enough. Same advice goes, though-- you can pick up the phone and talk to the man who designed and produced them.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 am 
recent arrival

Hello, is there someone who tested the new kayak Pakboat Quest 150 ? In terms of performance and safety? Could it be used safely for multi day touring on the sea?

I only tested the Pakboat 135 once some time ago and it seemed to me that the position of the seat was a little high which made the boat feel tippy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:01 pm 

The first shipment that Pakboat got of the Quest 135 from the factory had a small mistake in the construction of the seat support that made it sit too high. I have one of those 135's but was able to make a simple modification, recommended by Pakboat, that lowered it to the right position. They corrected that in later models. You probably were in one of those 135's with the too-high seat. With the seat fixed the model is very stable and not at all "tippy". So don't judge the Quests by that experience you had.

You can send an email to Alv Elvestad at Pakboat and ask him about coastal touring with the Quest 150. He uses one for travel and has taken it to Norway. I think you can see photos of him using it in the galleries of photos on the Pakboat site.

I would be perfectly confident taking my smaller Quest out in open water -- in fact I will be doing so at the end of this month when I take it to a paddling course on northern Lake Michigan.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:37 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks for your post. It is quite useful.

I like the specifications of the Quest 150. However I will have no real chance to test it before buying it and I could not find any review about it on the web.
Therefore I am still curious to know whether someone here had a chance to test or review it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 pm 
forum fan

I am a new owner of a Quest 150. If you can wait until the end of August, I can provide a true "sea" review. For now, my comments pertain to lakes.

The kayak tracks and edges well. I'm 5'9" and 185 and fit perfectly. I read comments about tippiness, and will admit when I first started out, it felt a little tippy, but I released some air from the seat, and then I felt perfectly dialed in. I carry my weight up high (chest/shoulders) so I assume my center of balance is higher than the some paddlers.

I bought mine as a pre-production model from Alv, and can only offer praise for him and his boats.

I look forward to many happy paddling vacations.

Assembly takes me 30 minutes after two longer trials. Takedown is 15 minutes, but that was dry. If I were wiping it down with a towel, perhaps I would have needed 20-25.

I love the boat. Good luck with your shopping.

ABZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:10 am 

Except for some minor details, the Quest 150 has the same basic design and specifications as its predecessor, the Quest 155 and will perform the same. They modified the seat support and changed the deck supports so the boat can be used open without the deck but otherwise the hull profile is the same. And the Quest 135 that I have is basically the same but scaled down to be two feet shorter for us smaller paddlers. So if you can find reviews of the 135 or 155 they will give you an idea of how the 155 performs.

There is a review of the 135 on YouTube, though it was done before they corrected the high seat issue. They removed the seat which lowered the paddler's center of gravity. The seats now place the paddler low in the cockpit with good adjustable inflatable thigh risers that make for a very comfortable and efficient position. If you do get one of the Quests, be sure to choose the adjustable rigid foot-peg option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXGG7KO1MQ

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15