Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quest 150 ocean review
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm 
forum fan

I've now paddled my new Quest 150 a half dozen times in the ocean and can provide some feedback.

In moderate surf, it paddles beautifully. The slight flex to the hull actually makes for a more comfortable feeling over waves. In larger surf, the low deck height is prone to letting waves crash over top into the cockpit. I find the need to pump out the kayak once I make it through the surf zone.

The only issue so far is the seat slipped out of position and I was worried that it would pop off the rail and possibly puncture either the sponson, or worse the skin. I ended up cutting the paddle short as there was no way to coax it back into position in the water. The only hassle is the need to thoroughly rinse that kayak daily as I am noticing the rings that secure the front and rear carry straps are showing slight corrosion from salt water. It comes off easily, but I am surprised a sea kayak would use a metal so susceptible to corrosion.

No regrets at all. The thirteen hour drive to a South Carolina was much more pleasant with the kayak in the back of the SUV, rather than up top.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:53 pm 
forum fanatic

Please contact me at info@pakboats.com and let me know what happened to the seat. I need to know if corrective action is needed. I am forwarding your comments about corrosion to the factory with a request to use a grade of stainless that does not corrode after minimal use.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:04 am 
forum fan

Dear Alv:

Thank you for your response to my post and the stellar customer service. It confirms my decision to purchase a Pakboat. I have sent you a email as requested.

For all readers, I want to remind that I purchased the pre-production model of the Quest 150, so I expect a few adjustments to be necessary over time. I have nothing but praise for how this boat paddles and "travels." I have paddled six days in a row in South Carolina. My next planned trips are Pittsburgh rivers and Baltimore Inner Harbor.

ABZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

When are you planning to explore Pittsburgh rivers? I can recommend some launch sites or even join you (with my own Quest), if I'm in town then.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:04 am 
forum fan

Kerry:

No date set yet, as this excursion will be timed around a college tour of Pitt for my daughter. Last time we went to Pittsburgh, we stayed at the Hampton Inn in the Strip District and I was in awe of the beauty of the rivers. I vowed that when we returned, I would bring a kayak. The Pakboat makes that easy.

I'll email you once we formalize plans.

ABZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:09 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Actually, if I am in town when you have the visit scheduled, you would be welcome to stay here with me, if you and your daughter don't mind a couple of overly friendly cats and sharing a large guest room (two double beds and desk with wi-fi, also a folding screen that can be set up between the beds for more privacy.)

I'm only a 10 minute drive from Pitt (other than at rush hour) --Pitt is my alma mater in fact and my late father was a prof there. In recent years I've hosted several friends and family members coming to the city to look at the many colleges here. Can answer most questions you might have about the school and show you around the city.

I can outfit your daughter with a kayak too if she wants to join you on an outing while here.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 pm 
forum fan

Kerry:

Thank you for your very kind offer. I won't ask to stay at your house, as we will come to Pittsburgh as a family of four. That said, I do hope to finally meet you in person and would love to paddle with you. I feel I've known you for years between two paddling forums, and I look forward to finally meeting you.

Regards,
Adrian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 pm 
forum fan

I mentioned an issue with the seat slipping out of position in my earlier post. Alv (the owner/designer) of Pakboat contacted me and sent me new end connections for the seat crossbars. The revised part is reinforced with fiberglass.

I installed this weekend and tested at the lake. There are no more issues with the seat slipping, so I have only positive comments regarding my new Quest 150.

ABZ