Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:26 pm 
forum fan

I bought my Quest 150 for a trip to Folly Beach, South Carolina last year. It was nice to have a kayak that fit into a duffle, as I was stopping at college campuses on the trip back to Pennsylvania.

Well, my daughter likes JMU, and I can report nothing but satisfaction with the Quest. It paddles like a hard shell kayak, but is incredibly light and as mentioned before, easier to take traveling.

I had an issue last year with the seat moving on the side rails, but Alv sent me different end links which solved the problem.

I’m back in Folly for a week, and am once again enjoying this kayak in the local waterways. I’ve paddled in the open ocean and on the tidal creeks and I love this kayak. Thank you to Alv for a great design.

If anyone has questions about Pakboat, I am happy to answer questions. In total, I now have eight kayaks, but this one is creating great opportunities to paddle in the course of my travels.

See you on the water.

ABZ

Post subject: Re: New Quest 150 kayak
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:05 pm 
forum fanatic

A quick note about what happened. We had made the seat with a plastic clip that turned out to too soft. With a stiffer part the seat stays in place, and we are now making all the Quests with the stiffer material in the seat support.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm 
forum fan

My update was not intended to be a critique of Pakboat or Alv. To the contrary, the customer service was exemplary. Since this forum is rather slow, I thought I would update with a year one follow-up.

The Quest handles waves extremely well, and gives a nice gentle ride through large surf. This year I added float bags at bow and stern, just in case, but thankfully haven’t needed to rely on them.

One slightly comical complaint about my Quest. One of the things I love about paddling Folly is that dolphins like to swim along side you. I’ve noticed in my Pakboat they stay at least 25 feet away and are far less visible than I am used to. I have come to the conclusion that a sleek, black bottomed, 15 foot kayak might appear somewhat shark-like from below.

On the other hand, my white bottomed sea kayak always needs a good wash after a paddle.

I really wish I had found this kayak years ago, as I would have loved the opportunity to paddle on vacations over the years.

ABZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:34 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Great to see another satisfied Quest owner commenting on the forum. I now have a Feathercraft Wisper to compare my Quest 135 to. They both top out at around the same speed for me, but while the Wisper edges better on a wave face and is more inert in a side-on chop, my Quest easily maintains a significantly faster cruising speed.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:52 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi, Simon,

Saw per your latest post that you've come into possession of a Wisper now. I have to admit I had neglected my Wisper since I bought the Quest 135 -- had not paddled it in nearly 2 years. But I set it up Wednesday and talked a friend into doing a half day paddle on a local river Friday (I paddled the Wisper and I put the friend in my Venture hardshell) -- I was newly reminded what a lovely kayak it is, especially in terms of seating comfort.

I was interested to read that you feel you get a bit more speed from the Quest. I would have thought the Wisper would be faster, but admit I have not made any attempt to check that out myself. I agree the Wisper is more agreeable in rough water than the Quest.

How do you like the Feathercraft compared to your Pakboat? I admit if somebody told me I could only keep one of the 4 kayaks in my fleet that I use the most often, I would have a hard time choosing one over the other.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:02 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Kerry,

Good question!

it’s not that my Quest 135 is faster - I top out well under 5 knots for both on the GPS, it’s more that it’s significantly easier to maintain a cruising speed closer to 4 knots than with my Wisper, and it also accelerates faster. Perhaps because the hull is swede form, perhaps because It’s a bit lighter – 14 kg versus 17 kg, , perhaps because the higher pressure sponsons make the hull skin a bit tauter or perhaps because the wetted surface area is a bit less for the shorter boat. The result is that it’s noticeably less tiring after 4 hours out for me.

Edging to turn or on a wave face to keep surfing the wave is more effective with the Wisper for me ( the Quest has less flare), although my Quest accelerates to catch waves better and shows less of a tendency to broach in the first place - it runs pretty straight but I don’t think it turn as easily as the Wisper.

As you say, the Wisper is better in rough water. The Quest is fine and I’ve never felt insecure, but It’s remarkable how inert the Wisper is to side on chop, as good as any sea kayak I’ve tried, while the Quest’s more vertical side walls mean it get gets knocked off line more.

I love both of them!

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:32 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

siravingmon wrote:
As you say, the Wisper is better in rough water. The Quest is fine and I’ve never felt insecure, but It’s remarkable how inert the Wisper is to side on chop, as good as any sea kayak I’ve tried, while the Quest’s more vertical side walls mean it get gets knocked off line more.

While I haven't paddled a Wisper, your experience seems consistent with the design of both. The Quest is designed as an efficient cruiser with minimal rocker while the Wisper is narrower, more rocker, and is shaped similar to a hard-chine (though I think it's also soft-chine).

My experience with the Quest 155 is also similar to yours. While I never felt in danger of capsizing, maintaining a relatively consistent trajectory in rough conditions required fairly significant effort.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:49 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Good point about the rocker, and the Wisper does have hard chines - possibly more pronounced than the Quest, which has the lower sponson tubes very close to the chines.
The width of the two kayaks is similar, with the 135 being 0.5 inches narrower (the 135 is narrower than the 155), but the lower, sloping deck of the Wisper makes for a paddle catch closer to the centreline (the Quest definitely accelerates more quickly, though).