Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire at Pakboats?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:43 pm 
forum fanatic

I just read a post on paddling.com that mentioned a bad fire at the Pakboats plant. My condolences and I hope no persons were injured beyond the inventory loss mentioned on paddling.com.

Alv and the crew are wonderful people and I hope for rapid recovery.

Adrian

Post subject: Re: Fire at Pakboats?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:49 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I just saw that too -- what an awful disaster! Apparently it will be a year before they have the new Quests back in stock. Fortunately the container of Saranacs had not arrived yet and those were spared. Here is the copy from the Paddling.com post:

"Hi all..tried out a few and picked the pakboat quest 150. Unfortunately when I went to order one I was told that they are not available. Pakboats warehouse suffered a fire in early April. Nearly 100 brand new boats were destroyed. The Quest and Saco models were entirely wiped out. Some Saranac kayaks are now available, since the new shipment of that model hadn't arrived prior to the fire. It will be late Spring of 2020 before any of the destroyed boats will again be available. Thought you all might like to know."

Does anyone know if the PakCanoe stock was affected?

I am surprised Alv would not have posted news of this here, but I imagine they have too much to deal with in the aftermath of such a disaster. I feel so bad for them! I hope it doesn't dissuade them from continuing to market their great boats.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:41 am 
faltbootemeister

Terrible news! I believe Alv kept his buisness going because he's a smart and innovative man. I hope this isn't a back breaker.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Another sad blow to the niche folding kayak universe. Alv has said that it is mostly the European demand for Pakboat canoes that has made it possible to keep on producing folding kayaks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:55 pm 
forum fanatic

Dear Alv:

I’m certain you have bigger issues now than reading and responding to posts, but when appropriate, please let us know so we can help spread the word about your return.

My Quest 150 is superb, and I am happy to act as an ambassador in the Philadelphia area.

Adrian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:46 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I just found out about this sad disaster. Here's an article for more info. I guess at least we (and they) can take some solace that they were insured, so hopefully will eventually reestablish operations.
https://www.vnews.com/Canaan-company-ba ... e-24699593

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

My understanding is that Pakcanoe sales will continue unaffected and that Quest sales will recommence next year.

Wishing Pakboats a speedy recovery

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1. Beth, Hobie AI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:09 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi all.
I have not posted anything about the fire because everything is still unsettled. I do not know what the future will bring, but I can tell you a bit about the current situation:

It is true that the fire burned our warehouse along with our inventory of a bit over 100 boats - a lot of Sacos and Quests. We sold out of the Saranac last year, so we had to make more. That is why the Saranac is now available.

The situation for the PakCanoes is mixed. We were sitting on quite a few 15 ft and green 16 ft canoes, so those were not made. The result is that we have red 16 ft and 16.5 ft. And we have a good supply of both colors of the 17 ft PakCanoe - good news for the expedition canoers out there.

To get us through this season, we have rented a large container to put where the warehouse was. That is a viable solution for the summer, but I am not sure what we will do about space in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:14 pm 
forum fanatic

Alv:

It is good to hear from you, and I am happy no one was injured. I wish you a speedy business recovery and look forward to your getting new stock so I can send other customers your way.

Sorry for the bad fortune, but hope you find some positives in the rebuild.

Adrian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:59 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

So sad to see that photo with the remnants of burned kayak frames and hulls, not to mention all the other property that was lost and the nightmare of work ahead to recover the businesses. Glad that you were insured, nobody was hurt and it was not a total loss but that sort of thing is never easy to deal with.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15