Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 Puffin, Swift 14
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 am 
recent arrival

Hi everyone - looking for some advice here. I have the chance to buy either or both of 2 pakboats, both 2005: a 12' puffin or a 14' swift. asking price is $500 each. I'm trying them out on Friday. Never paddled a pakboat kayak, but excited about the opportunity to try them.

I am 5'5", 115 lbs so a pretty small paddler. I paddle mainly in quiet waters, with the hope to get more adventurous in the next few years. No overnight trips (yet). A folding kayak will help me get out more since I don't have the capacity to get a hardshell to and from the water. I prefer longer, narrower boats (12-14') with a chine and relatively good tracking, which leads me to believe I'll prefer the Swift based on threads on this forum. I'm not concerned about assembly and prefer a deck vs. SOT.

I *could* spend the money on a new Quest 150, but at 3x the price, I'm inclined to try this used boat for a couple years to see how well I like it and then upgrade. And it seems like people on this board liked the swifts from 2005-2006 (been reading threads from that time).

My question: would thoughts do y'all have about a 2005 boat in good condition with new airbags? Are there substantive design differences from then to now? I see the deck is different and includes ties, which is convenient, but not necessarily structural.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:20 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Looks like a good deal to me. I have the 12' (a secondhand version) and like it. But I would have opted for the longer boat if it were available.
I hope you get the boat that suits you at a price that suits too! (And secondhand is a great way to give an unloved boat a second chance.)
Let us know what you do and how you get on with it. All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:32 am 
recent arrival

Thanks! Fingers crossed, on my way now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a Swift so I can pass on some (hopefully useful) information. The cockpit is very small for a folding kayak but given your size and weight you should be well suited to it. I would say that the Swift doesn't have well defined chines from the frame structure (like Feathercrafts for example) but the large air bladders or sponsons provide good secondary stability (the initial stability is a little twitchy but you get use to it). I would say the Swift tracks well.

You may have already tried it by the time you read this. If so I'd be interested on your impressions of it. Good luck in your search!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 pm 
recent arrival

So ... I splurged and bought both boats so I can bring a friend along! The swift tracks better, but both were workable. The seats aren't holding air, so I'll need to replace both and get footrests but I'm on my way. Thanks for responding today. Glad there's community and support here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:32 pm 
faltbootemeister

Cool! Keep us posted.