Noob question: Can/should a pakboat be kept assembled for weeks?

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

oivavoi
forum fan

Noob question: Can/should a pakboat be kept assembled for weeks?

Post by oivavoi »

Hi all, I'm still considering which folding kayak to get. I recently found a good offer on a used pakboats kayak. He didn't know the exact model, but it's 14 ft, and weighs around 14 kg in total in the bag with everything, so I'm assuming it's either a Swift or an Arrow, from what I can tell?

What I'm wondering is this. During the summer months I might take it to my parent's summer house. Over there I actually don't need to disassemble it every time. I can just keep it assembled in the garage. But is it bad for a pakboats kayak to stay assembled for a prolonged period, say 6-7 weeks? I'm assuming it should be rinsed etc after every time it's used, particularly if it's salt water - is this more difficult to do when it's assembled?

mje
Site Admin

Re: Noob question: Can/should a pakboat be kept assembled for weeks?

Post by mje »

If it’s freshwater, you store the boat upside down (so water drains out), and you keep it out of the sun, it should be okay. I’d also give the hull a wipe-down with 303 for a little extra UV protection.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

oivavoi
forum fan

Post by oivavoi »

mje wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:40 pm
If it’s freshwater, you store the boat upside down (so water drains out), and you keep it out of the sun, it should be okay. I’d also give the hull a wipe-down with 303 for a little extra UV protection.
Thanks! But it's salt water, so I guess more thorough cleaning is called for?

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

For saltwater you must rinse it after use, and it’s a good idea to regularly check the frame joints for corrosion.
Michael Edelman

Apathizer
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Apathizer »

mje wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:30 pm
For saltwater you must rinse it after use, and it’s a good idea to regularly check the frame joints for corrosion.
While that's a good idea, the materials are corrosion-resistant enough it probably isn't a major concern.

As you wrote keeping it assembled during the season generally isn't a problem if it's stored away from direct sunlight. After disassembly and long-term storage it's good to clean the metal components with something mild like dish-soap to remove salt residue. While corrosion usually isn't a major problem residue on the connecting points can eventually lead them to seize.

As for the hull and deck, saltwater residue is probably only a cosmetic concern; it doesn't look good, but probably won't damage them.
Last edited by Apathizer on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oivavoi
forum fan

Post by oivavoi »

Thanks folks.

Ok this convinced me. Not having to assemble and disassemble every time is convenient. Furthermore I realized that I can haul it on my cargo bike with some adjustments. So... given that this was a good deal I bought it! Getting it delivered tomorrow. But probably not going to get to try it out for a couple of weeks. Looking forward. Already planned some bike & kayak outings for the summer...

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Apathizer wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:09 pm
mje wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:30 pm
While that a good idea, the materials are corrosion-resistant enough it probably isn't a major concern....
We’ve had several Feathercraft owners report here how salt water corrosion resulted in anodized aluminum tubes seizing up, and having to be sawed apart and replaced. I don’t know how tight the tolerances are on Pakboats, but the risk is real. Use anti-seize compound, Boeshield, or another compound on the joints, flush the boat out with fresh water after every day’s paddling, and inspect the joints regularly for signs of corrosion.
Michael Edelman

Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

mje wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:58 am
Apathizer wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:09 pm

While that a good idea, the materials are corrosion-resistant enough it probably isn't a major concern....
We’ve had several Feathercraft owners report here how salt water corrosion resulted in anodized aluminum tubes seizing up, and having to be sawed apart and replaced. I don’t know how tight the tolerances are on Pakboats, but the risk is real. Use anti-seize compound, Boeshield, or another compound on the joints, flush the boat out with fresh water after every day’s paddling, and inspect the joints regularly for signs of corrosion.
Flush it out after every paddle? That's seems way too anal to me. In the case of seized-joints that was probably a case of being left assembled and neglected for at least several months. Unless the materials are crap that's how long it would take for joints to seize. It's unlikely to happen during a single paddle-season.

If FC joints seized during only one season it's no wonder they're out of biz.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Regular flushing is just good practice, and easier than, say, setting an interval. It also insures thorough flushing of salt that may remain after a casual after paddle rise out.
Michael Edelman

Jake

Post by Jake »

I recently sold my Kurrent. The new owner is a sixty year old woman of slight stature who insisted that I not disassemble the boat, that she would carry it home on top of her car fully assembled and it was her intention never to take the boat apart. She said that she had previously owned a K-Light and found the assembly process simply too difficult for her limited physical ability. Still, she was enthralled with the way her K-Light moved through the water and thought that the Kurrent would be a perfect replacement. Though I fully disassembled and applied Boshield to the Kurrent’s frame every couple of months and rinsed the boat with fresh water after each paddle, I can well appreciate the woman’s point of view. Skin-on-frame folders and inflatables can be enthralling and a bit addictive, too.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

I always assembled and disassembled every time, I found putting the Aerius 2 on the roof rack and taking it off much more trouble than assembly. If I don,t want to assemble I use my hard shell Triak. Which is what I use all the time now, when I can.

Return to “Pakboats”