Quest 150 - After a few paddles...

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Sparky961
forum fan

Quest 150 - After a few paddles...

Post by Sparky961 »

My experience with purchasing this boat was great - sort of. I was contacted when they were in stock, paid with my credit card over the phone, and it arrived less than a week later. The first thing I noticed were the block letters stamped on the box stating that my yellow kayak was "BLUE". Opening confirmed this. A short email exchange with Mike and a replacement deck would soon be airborne. I also purchased a set of thigh straps at the same time, asking that they be shipped with the deck. A shockingly short amount of days later, I received the package which contained ... yes, another blue deck. Back to email, another deck shipped. Got it right this time.

So I have a total of three decks, two of which I'm packing back up tomorrow to send back. None of this cost me anything extra, so that's good. If that was all, I might just shake my head and carry on but it wasn't. About the third time out, I tried to install the thigh straps. Of course there are no instructions for this to be found, so it couldn't be that difficult. I easily found the rear attachment point but stared dumbfounded at the front for a while before giving up and emailing Mike. I said I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and it was like there was a buckle missing. His response? "You're missing a buckle" (plus some additional information). I'm trusting that buckles are in the mail as I write this. Until I receive them the thigh straps are useless. As a side note, $USD 45.00 seems steep for what are, effectively backpack straps.

I've assembled/disassembled it 5 times, and paddled it 4 times in various conditions ranging from flat protected water to 1-2 foot wind waves in an exposed area of Georgian Bay (Lake Huron). I was, perhaps, pushing it a little with these conditions as I'm still not exactly sure how which of my well-practiced hard-shell re-entries is going to work with this boat.

The boat paddles nicely for what it is. The "for what it is" part is important. Coming from a background of hard-shell boats, this can never be equal or replace one. It does, however, do the job of being a capable and portable/packable boat. I've only paddled a Trak once, and it is also not the equal/replacement for this.

Sparky961
forum fan

Re: Quest 150 - After a few paddles...

Post by Sparky961 »

I've already been collecting some complaints that I have yet to share with Mike/Pakboats. I wanted to see if anyone here has had similar experiences or maybe an opinion related to these issues.

1. Foot rail adjustment does not stay locked. Not even close. The combination of the weak return spring and the inflated pressure tube of the hull make it so it can't be pushed down into the locked position. The first time I installed them I ended up just putting them to the farthest position and I could just barely get some purchase with a toe (I'm a tall guy). The second time I tried holding it down with zip ties. This sort of worked, but did end up slipping while I was paddling once. It certainly isn't something I should have to worry about with a brand new boat, folding or not.

2. Foot rail rod doesn't completely engage seat rod. There's about a 1/2" gap with initial assembly, and this slips to 3/4" or more after paddling. I'm concerned that it may even pop out in rough conditions, or when I have the high straps and I'm seeing how/if it actually can be rolled.

3. As I've been adjusting the seat back in various positions (and orientations, as there is no clear "THIS SIDE UP"), I noticed that there is some very pronounced wear of the mesh holding the seat at the rear caused by rubbing of the seat back. This is after FOUR TIMES paddling it. I can't be the only one that's had this issue. There should be a reinforcement patch here that can handle the abrasion, or some other means of preventing it.

4. I noticed that the deck "wets out" from the seams inward. It takes a few hours for this to happen, presumably as water is seeping in through capillary action. If it can do this and takes that long, one would assume it takes even longer for it to completely dry out. That's extra weight you're carrying and lots of time/space to lay things out drying prior to packing up for storage.

Pictures to follow

Sparky961
forum fan

Post by Sparky961 »

Wow. There are a lot of restrictions on linked images here. Implement automatic downscaling if size is an issue. Don't make me do the work.

Image Links:

1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NrVQS9 ... sp=sharing

2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NRlVMp ... sp=sharing
2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NsAo-T ... sp=sharing

Sparky961
forum fan

Post by Sparky961 »

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

Mike runs this site on a very small budget. Allowing people to post full file size photos would escalate complexity and cost. Those of us who want to show photos simply link to something like a Flickr file.

You remind me I should shoot him a gratitude donation to help support the site.

By the way, here is the link to my Quest 135 assembly series. Not exactly the same as your 150 (the 135 deck is not removable for open use as the cockpit is integrated into the frame) but some of it might look familiar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodl ... 7706271353
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Sparky961
forum fan

Post by Sparky961 »

Embedded images from other sites (Google Drive, in this case) don't add to server bandwidth and by extension, cost.

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

Makes me wonder if quality control has fallen off since Alv’s retirement. I had given some thought to the Pakboat 150 but would not expect to have to deal with problems like those you’ve rncountered. And I just had a look at KerryOnKayaks’ 59 photos detailing the parts and assembly of the Pakboat 135. Way too many fiddly things to mess with. I think I’ll just go on casting about for a more simple folder, maybe another K-Light.

Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

I had a Quest 155. Before ordering it I had an email exchange with Alv. He actually recommended against thigh-straps, telling me I probably won't need them. Instead I ordered hip-pads, which were nice since my hips are narrow.

While I liked the Quest 155, I just wasn't using it much so I gave it to a friend. Sadly, I'm of the age when I need to focus on efficient exercise and unfortunately kayaking isn't. Since I have a job where I sit most of the day, I don't want to do that when I'm not working. Hopefully when I'm retired kayaking will be appealing again.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Sparky961 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:57 am
Embedded images from other sites (Google Drive, in this case) don't add to server bandwidth and by extension, cost.
I’ve disabled the image limits, but also turned off attachments. You can link to as large an image as you like now.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Jake

Post by Jake »

Apathizer,

I might be risking apostasy by suggesting that you consider an SUP for a full body workout. While in Florida this past winter I had a chance to try a friend’s inflatable SUP for a couple of hours. I felt that I was using muscles all through my body; legs, back, arms and shoulders. Certainly not the perfect substitute for an afternoon afloat in a pretty little folder but I was on the water with a paddle in my hands and it was (dare I say it)......fun!

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

I agree with Jake that SUP boards are a great total body workout, surprisingly so for the legs. I also felt guilty about sitting too much on the job and also I wanted something to help with my balance, so I made the purchase of a paddle board. But I'll keep my Feathercraft Kahuna because there are times when there's no place I'd rather be than sitting in my folding kayak.

Bob1nLR
paddler

Post by Bob1nLR »

On footpegs, try switching them. I was going to comment on counterintuitive ness of pushing down to release, until I realized I'd put port to starboard and vice versa. Reversed, gravity should hold in place and only light spring to push zUP against to release. I fiddled with this for 10 minutes today and didn't think of this till I read your post.

On the wear of mesh seat support sleeve, you might be putting rear to front. The folded, puffy part goes under the knees, and so less exposure of the rear part of seat to wear and tear of getting in and exiting the boat. Of course, if I'm wrong and you are putting seat in correctly, then hauling things in and out behind seat could cause this, and velcro during storage also could snag and tear this rather delicate mesh. Seems an effort to save weight by using lightweight fabric, but I think you have revealed a wear point. I suggest remembering company is struggling and to promote success, using honey might get more response than vinegar. I wanted a yellow top too but settled for blue, that's all the had. At least can change it sometime!
Quest 150
Last boat: Easyrider Dolphin

Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

Jake wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:28 am
Apathizer,

I might be risking apostasy by suggesting that you consider an SUP for a full body workout. While in Florida this past winter I had a chance to try a friend’s inflatable SUP for a couple of hours. I felt that I was using muscles all through my body; legs, back, arms and shoulders. Certainly not the perfect substitute for an afternoon afloat in a pretty little folder but I was on the water with a paddle in my hands and it was (dare I say it)......fun!
I've tried SUP a few times. I enjoy it and it's certainly a better overall workout than kayaking. But running is better cardio and organized strength training is better for, well, strength.

I understand why SUP seems more popular with younger persons. It's a better workout and seems more conducive to spontaneity than kayaking. Kayaking is better for long paddles and multi-day trips, but fewer seem interested in those activities these days.

Bob1nLR
paddler

Post by Bob1nLR »

I am pretty pleased with new Quest 150 recently purchased. The complaint about footpegs I think was based on reversed install, I think I figured that out (the parts are not labeled left or right, that I could see). :wink: Otherwise no complaints with the boat, I'm now looking for a second boat so I can take one of my kids, or a friend. Might be another Quest (smaller one would be ideal to give to my diminutive daughter), or something else. BobinLR
Quest 150
Last boat: Easyrider Dolphin

Return to “Pakboats”