Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triton Kayak
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:22 pm 
I was contacted by the US Dealer/Distributor of Triton kayaks. Does anyone have any experience with those kayaks? Care to write a review maybe? Please contact me or Michael.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:11 pm 
To my best knowledge, they have only one single-seater model - Ladoga. Other boats are 2 and 3 seaters, some without rudder. Ann has posted links in "Other Boats":
http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?f ... eply_53769
http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?f ... eply_40084

Each llink opens a thread in German forum, and can be translated through Language Tools at http://www.google.com or Translate at http://www.altavista.com with, I would say, 70-80% success. Some words need imagination, like "construction" (=assembling).

My review would've been rather unfavourable. I can see 2 advantages of Ladoga over Feathercraft K1 (or, may be, Fujita 480 Expedition):
Open cockpit (velcro-attached spraydeck) simiilar to Pakboat Puffin or Folbot Edisto. This makes loading and unloading of cargo very easy (creating also a danger, if spraydeck is ripped off - and it easily comes off at some spots when cargo is loaded too high, because velcro strips on Ladoga are in horizontal plane).

The second advantage is $1000-$1500 dealer's price.

Consider, that this comes with a lot of a pain (and some costs), - many things need to be modified or replaced - seat, deck bungey cords, footrest, rudder (all parts of it), cockpit rim, hardware, some metal joints, - and some things can't be modified at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:49 pm 
Actually currently in the US we offer a lot more models, the Ilmen, Neva 2, Neva 3, Svir, Vuoksa 2, Vuoksa 3, Ladoga 1, Ladoga 2 and Loach. In addition to this Triton makes Catamarans, and Inflatable Boats.

The russian company with only one model is the Taymen (a rather old but rugged design, although apparently it has been modernized) , which is made by a different enterprise then Triton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:29 pm 
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - Triton has only one one-seater model. Other models by Triton are 2- and 3-seaters, (as indicated by numbers "2" and "3" in names of respective models); don't know about Louch, though - either not very popular, or recent addition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:33 pm 
Yes you are correct, the louch is a 2 seater.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:47 am 
Anyone have a current price list, know how it takes to receive the boat after ordering it? Would be interested in a micro-review of one of their tandems.

Thanks,

C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:21 am 
Site Admin

There's a micro-review of a single on the main web site. Click the logo above and go to "Short Reviews".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:31 pm 
Thanks. The review answered a number of my questions. C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:38 pm 
Actually there is a price list available on our website at http://www.busmatch.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:54 pm 
mje wrote:
There's a micro-review of a single on the main web site. Click the logo above and go to "Short Reviews".

It's a review of a double, - Svir. I haven't seen it, only heard that it is better made than single Ladoga 1. Frame is tight, and skin is good. (apparently the same PVC on all Tritons). I would expect more difficult assembling than in Feathercraft K1 or Folbot GII (yes, it is more strenuous than K1). Technically, no tools are needed, but I would suggest carrying some little multi-tool knife. No rudder on this model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I paddled a Triton Single that Ralph Hoehn had. It was the nicest-paddling boat that I've ever tried, bar none. From what I understand, though, the frames tend to seize and be impossible to disassemble.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject: Triton Ladoga
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:34 am 
I agree that the Ladoga-1 is impressive to paddle. However, the older ones had frame joints made of a strange brittle nylon. In my opinion, these parts are the Achilles heel of the design. Newer ones use some kind of black plastic which I haven't seen. It would be nice if it were the softer, more flexible stuff used by PakBoats and Atlatl. I have contacted two sales outlets to see whether one can get replacements for the plastic parts and have never received any replies.

Regarding the comment that the frame joints seize up: I believe this is based on the experience of Ralph Hoehn, who kept his boat assembled after lots of salt water use, as a form of torture testing.The joints of the aluminum frame tubes have little brass springs/latch buttons which favor galvanic corrosion. However, I doubt you would have much trouble if you dissassembled and washed the frame after salt-water use, which would be recommended for any metal frame. Mine had been used in salt water and shows no significant corrosion or "binding." I also doubt that use in fresh water would give you any problems. The frame tubes themselves are very sturdy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:33 pm 
Hello bwb. I am not sure who you contacted regarding replacement parts. But for replacement parts of Triton boats in the USA and Canada you can contact us and as the official wholesaler we can try to help you. You can contact us at busmatch@busmatch.com . We would need to know the exact model you have, and we would see whether the new plastic parts can be fitted on an old boat. In all likelihood I believe they can, but I cant gurantee that until we know the model/ manufacturing year of the boat, and contact the factory.

Also, for any users of these boats, if anybody would like to send any sort of review that you would not mind being put on our website to us at busmatch@busmatch.com it would be appreciated.

Regarding the boats and salt water, I think that the folding kayak needs to be cleaned after each outing into salt water. I have a Neva 3 as my boat, and I know its not specifically designed for salt water, as Ive paddle it on the Hudson river, (in New York City), and two parts did sieze up together (although only after not being cleaned for a few hours). That has never happened on fresh water. Nevertheless I think if the boat is paddled in salt water, and cleaned soon afterwards there should be no problems. I am not sure about the Ladoga 1, and 2, as they are designed to be sea kayak, but ive myself never paddled them.

Last edited by Yevgeniy on Fri May 20, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:08 pm 
chrstjrn wrote:
I paddled a Triton Single that Ralph Hoehn had. It was the nicest-paddling boat that I've ever tried, bar none. From what I understand, though, the frames tend to seize and be impossible to disassemble.

When Ralph Hoehn's forum was still active, he admitted that he left his Triton single (Ladoga-1) assembled for a very long time, meanwile frequently paddling it, and after several months its frame seized due to corrosion. In my experience, however, dissembling this boat was very often difficult even after a one-day paddle - even little amount of grit could make it difficult (and assembling was yet more difficult - I don't know any boat as difficult to assemble as Ladoga-1).

It has very stiff frame, no wonder that it feels nice on the water. The underlying design concept is probably valuable, but this boat was terribly under-engineered, - I think I mentioned most of its weak points in earlier posts.

One part in Ladoga-1 was engineered not just badly, but dangerously - very thin 1/8" diameter srew is holdling bow and stern keelsen tubes together. This mono-tube keelsen is locked similarly to Klepper or Folbot: 2 halves are joined to form an upward peak, then you press this joint down (with a lot of force). But then joint is locked with one tiny screw. I wonder what happens if this screw fails on the water. Unlike in Klepper, there are no ribs nearby to hold the tube down (and rib plastic fittings don't work well, btw - stringers tend to pop out, same problem was in Folbot Cooper, but Folbot has managed to fix it).

May be after 3 or 4 years of production and many complaints they have changed something to better - still I woudn't expect it to be easily assembled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:17 pm 
Because of the good hull performance and speed of the Ladoga-1, people with mechanical skills might be tempted to modify it to remedy some of its weak points. Ralph Hoehn once contemplated performing shock therapy to the frame (installing shock cord to speed assembly and eliminate the tricky brass buttons in the joints). I've wondered about having better plastic couplings fabricated by a CAD/CAM machine shop; this might not be very expensive, but I lack the necessary skill. I did get an inflatable Puffin seat to replace the absolutely awful primitive wooden original seat.