[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Folding Kayaks Forum • View topic - New Ladoga II advanced

Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Ladoga II advanced
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:29 pm 
Hi,

I live in Denmark, and I just received my Ladoga II Advanced. I also got their upwind sail and outriggers. I have made the first assembly - pain in the @*%¤#¤ - requires superhuman force, manual is very bad, but the construction is otherwise simple, very robust and nice looks. I can't wait to get out and try it - I'll be back then with my experiences.

Rasmus Møller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:51 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:06 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:34 am 
Hallo,

we are 2 beginners and we are going to by a boot - maybe a folding kajak. The kajak on the top of the list (also because of the price and the speed) is the Ladoga II. The next dealer is some km away, so I hope to get some information here.

How are the seats in the kajak (we like comfortable seats) and can the replaced by better seats?

How robust is the skin (read about a "thin" one)? We are beginners and wand want to paddle also on small rivers.

Is there enought space for luggage of 2 persons for moredays trips, including tent, thermerest, sleepungbag, ...?

Thank you all for help - if we buy one I tell you.

Torsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:32 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:47 am 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am 
Hello
Can you send some pictures
Is there any option to be used from one paddler?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:34 pm 
What would you like pictures of? - my model is from 2006. Colors, quality, features (and price) have changed since then.

It is not hard (for me) to paddle alone from the back seat using the rudder, if there is not too much head/side wind. Otherwise could put 50+ kg of weight in front.

Or use my outriggers+side board (that I bought along with the sail option) - that would slow me down some, but anyway single paddling a double will always be slower bc. of the wetted surface.

It has worked fine for me to be able paddle with my wife - she would have hesitated to paddle a single and keep the pace. I have taken it alone sometimes - works fine for just getting out there.

I dont assemble/disassemble it very often - mostly use it as a hardshell on/off the car, keeping it hanging under the carport. I very seldom use the sail, though it works fine. But if I'm out with the sail and my wife in front, she gets frustrated that she cannot participate, and if there is enough wind to make it move smartly, then there is also enough waves to splash her too much :)

You could sit in the middle section without the spraydeck and spray cover - I dont like salt water dripping in the boat, though, so I'd prefer to use them or make a custom 1 (or 3) person spraydeck.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 am 
Thanks about your helpfull reply.
I am very interesting of bying this kayak model! Does the rudder helps with sailing?
! I have a kubia kayaksailor.com sail kit! Maybe it works fine with it (without outriggers).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 pm 
Sailing is painful and inefficient without rudder (and leeboard) unless going downwind.
I recommend you go for the biggest rudder available, if you want to sail - you'll steer naturally with your feet on pedals.
You need a leeboard to tack (go upwind).

Congratulations with your kubia kayaksailor.com sail kit - it looks great and well conceived.
It seems there are 1.4 and 1.6 m2 models - which one do you have? - and do you have a jib too? and leeboard?

Anyway, my sailing experience is with the 3.5m2 sail (mast is 4.5m high) and I tried it without outriggers a rather calm day on a lake with no waves. It was much too tippy for me - no real progress, because all my attention was focused on not turning over. The Kayaksailor is much smaller and lower so I see no reason why you could not try it without outriggers. It might work for fun, especially if the wind is stable with no puffs and no waves. That is a rare condition, where I live.

I see the utility of a sail in two situations:

1: A great variation for fooling around in medium/high winds for a short while - you can reach scary speeds, but without outriggers you tire quickly , and you must expect some swimming.

2: For multi-day touring, if the sail is easy to strike and/or you use outriggers. It is great to be able to pause paddling and still move on. But the mast/outriggers will annoy one of 2 paddlers (no problem if paddling alone from the backseat in Ladoga2). And if the wind dies completely, the outriggers slow you down a little, but allow your butt great relief, as you can stand up when you want.

All in all, sails are fun and I like them, but more often than not, you'll just have a few hours after work to paddle, and it'll take too much time to assemble/disassemble sails and outriggers to be worth it.

But as you already have the KayakSailor sail, please do use it with or without outriggers, and do tell us how it works for you!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:52 pm 
I see you posted in the sailing section, and I read the thread.

If the other guys liked the sail on Klepper A2, you'll probably be fine with Ladoga2 without outriggers - and I hadn't noticed that it can be raised and lowered so easily on the water. It might work fine without rudder by changing leeboard angle, but I'd still recommend a (big) rudder for the peace of mind and to make course corrections without wasting paddle strokes.

You'll have to find a way to attach it firmly to the Alu tubes of the skeleton. If you are a decent handyman, no problem.

Be warned that it is hard work to assemble the Ladoga 2 the first few times! Expect to sweat and curse for an hour!

Seriously it is a great double kayak once assembled - and easily driven. I like it a lot, but use it mostly like a hardshell.
I only assemble/disassemble it 1-2 times per year (my neighbor graciously lets me hang it in his carport during summertime). But if I had permanent storage and transport for a hardshell I would probably be better off.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:17 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416 & Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI