Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:40 am 
faltbootemeister

So, I too have a Pionier 520-Z, but have not sailed it as the only piece missing that I know, was the thwart GrnMtns was kind enough to share his thwart design, so I plan on making one soon.

Although my 520-Z was missing the thwart, it came with a bladder mounted to a piece of wood. Internally it has a couple of semi-circle reinforcements (perpendicular to the length of the device that hold the bladder in place. The bladder an reinforcements are covered in a cotton sleeve, that's a bit ratty. This baffled me as the construction, initially suggested a pad , but I didn't know where it would attach. The item is 1 meter long. Today it dawned on me that this could be used as an outrigger float, or ama. I'll try to post some pix of the device, hopefully the link works!

If it is an ama, then I'll need to find a new bladder fab a new sleeve, and a way to attach the ama to the kayak, as I don't recall seeing any bits for that either. Any assistance identifying this item and what function it serves is appreciated.

Barry

PS: tried to post the links as a image and get this error: "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146953083@N02/29388872952/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146953083@N02/29463131316/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146953083@N02/29208339350/in/dateposted-public/

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:55 am 
forum fanatic

Those look mysterious.I have not seen any deployed. We went to Germany last summer and looked over used gear there online. They had alot of companies making folding kayaks & gear for many years. Good luck.

Attachment:
pioneer1963.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:24 pm 
forum fanatic

It seems to be a part from the Pionier Dingi 350D??
R.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:09 pm 
faltbootemeister

Jon and Rainer,

If you look at the third picture I posted you'll note (when I linked from the message board to the Flickr site I see the images are pretty grainy - sorry) that there are actually four bolts with wingnuts that come up through the wood backplate. I removed two of the wingnuts as I need them to attach the coaming to my 520-Z (my kayak came missing four wingnuts). Two of the bolts' wingnuts are for attaching the internal "frames"/"ribs" that are semi-circular in shape that provide some rigidity and helps keep the bladder in position, I don't know what the others ones are used for, but it may be to attach this to an outrigger?

The more I think about it I'm pretty sure this is for an outrigger/ama as you couldn't sit on those wingnuts, which is where they'd be in the boat per the picture Rainer sent. Also, you wouldn't want to use this as a pad, as the internal frames would make it uncomfortable. Jon, you mentioned that the boat was a bit "tender" at wind speeds over 10 mph, so perhaps this was a mod or an option from Pionier for those conditions.

If I get some time over the weekend I'll go through the bad with the sails and related equipment to see if I find anything that looks like it could be used as an outrigger.

Thanks for your responses.

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65