Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAYLAND
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Just tried their site, it said "wayland is not sold anymore" Looks like they have gone, or have they?

Post subject: Re: WAYLAND
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:17 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

It looks fine to me.
I'm looking here: http://www.sklep.wayland.com.pl/index.php?
and here: http://www.wayland.com.pl/lang-en.html
And there's no mention I can see of them stopping. I think their winter sale is over though. Perhaps it was a particularly ropey translation of the end of the sale?
(Ah perhaps you are referring to their US distributor; looks like they are now pointing US purchasers to Canada.)
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thank you for correcting me. What i picked up on the internet must have been a dealer who no longer sells them. The link from the site index (on the left hand side) also gave me no connection. As far as i know there is no dealer in the USA and the dealer who is listed in CANADA told me he no longer sells the boats and to contact WAYLAND direct.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:42 am 
forum fan

Wayland still publish on Ebay. You can find it as username: jesionowo.
5th, March, 2010.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:59 pm 
be careful when you buy from them.
at least in my case, they asked me 350 dollars door to door delivery (poland - canada) which ended being only door to airport and around 270 dollars extra in extra charges (terminal handling fee, duties etc) which were supposed to be included in original shipping charges. and what is worse, because of their incompetence, I paid duties for shipping charges (it is a long story with two different invoices for same product)
and it looks like they are not willing to give me a credit for that (i asked them to credit me with 180 of 270, which is more than decent, taking on my own some fees)
so, if you buy from them, add around 300 dollars an top of what they said is shipping charges "all charges included"

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:35 pm 
forum fanatic

I figure Wayland are too busy being tied up with the Eastern European market, and Russia I would imagine. They have a winter sale every year and I think they are very busy making skins for old German and Swiss Kleppers. There website doesn't seem to have much English so I guess they are not too concerned about us Atlantians, or indeed Pacifians.

I haven't had much to do with them lately but service has been good in the past, with even a bag of spare aluminium parts being sent free along with some spare sponson bladders that I'd ordered.

My experience has generally been good, if a little slow; Id agree there. The price quoted was the money spent. I am in the EU however.

Tim

2008 Wayland Amazon (Mother Ship)
???? S&G Granta Angmagssalik
1978 Derek Hutchunson Bairdarka Explorer (Spray)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:05 am 
Hi

Just to put my twopenneth in - I have had a good experience with them so far. There is a language barrier but I don't speak any Polish so I can't say anything.

Honest service, the boat is good and the cost is way(no pun intended) cheaper than competitors.

The extra shipping cost is bad news and I'm in the EU too so it could be problems with transatlantic shipping.

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 am 
Hello,

I've just received my new comfy seats for my AmazonII without any problems and the delivery time to the UK was good via UPS. However, if you ask any questions then they don't always seem to understand what you're asking?

I've not tried them out yet but hope to do that soon !

- John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:30 pm 
faltbootemeister

I've tried to contact the various Folder makers and have had equally good reaction time and effort from each one - including Wayland.

I live in Arizona and they calculated costs and have been very generous with their time. There's an obvious difference in translation from Polish to American English - but since I speak only English my hat's off to them for taking great pains to ensure we're on the same page. All the effort has been on their side and I think that is a demonstration of excellent Customer Service.

I've only done this for research purposes; I'm not purchasing anything any time soon. But they've made it a positive experience overall.

I've paid attention to what customers in the USA have experienced with them and do understand that freight/shipping from their fabrication plant in Poland is an extra challenge. But thanks to people posting detailed accounts of how everything transpired for their particular dealings with Wayland I'm hardly in the dark about the somewhat hidden extra fees and delivery time associated with acquiring their products.

Edited Later : I just wanted to add that I was in contact with -
Iwona Nowak, who is the sales manager for Wayland . Very helpful representative.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:25 am 
Right, After so much frustration with my Wayland Harpoon Expedition i see it fit that i should inform as many as possible about this brand.
Last year i decided i was going to Kayak down the Danube. Having never kayaked before i was a bit lost at the vast choice of kayaks available. After extensive reading i decided a foldable was the best option as i live in France and the Danube starts in Germany and i would need to get there with my boat. Also i didn't want to spend thousands on something i had no idea i would enjoy.
Anyway: I ordered the Kayak 52 days prior to departure (they advertise delivery in 21 days.)
I booked first class tickets to northern France leaving 3 days before i was due to start.
The Kayak arrived 53 days later. (75euros lost + 120 for new ticket)
Also this meant i had no time to test the Kayak.
First day on the Danube, one of the sponsoon lost air after 10min so kayak was seriously pulling to one side all day.

Trying to fix the sponsoon (no repair kit provided) I was shocked to see how they made the sponsoons, its basically a sheet of plastic heat sealed and badly folded at each end. The whole was right at the end on a fold so virtually impossible to fix.
I had to go three days with a flat sponsoon then when i got to Regensburg i decided enough was enough and either i fixed it or i burnt it. To sort it out i went and bought 4 of those swimming pool floats and bike inner tubes and stuffed them into the sponsoon which i cut to length (If your interested there are photos of the repair on my website)

It worked well and kept things fairly tight.

TBC..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:26 am 
Next problem: The rudder
After about a week i managed to get it working fairly well until i started gaining confidence and trying to catch some waves behind the tugs. everytime i got out of my boat after one of those waves i would have to straighten the rudder. Basicaly it was absolutely useless, the aluminium used was rubbish and far too thin. I got to marine grade aluminum strips put on in Hungary but they didn't do the job correctly and the rudder broke off a couple of days later. I did a beach repair which meant i could no longer lift it but it worked a dream and even when i came to shore the rudder grounded and stopped the boat but it stayed straight. (all because of maybe 3 euros worth of aluminium)

Another problem.
The seat is very very unconfortable

The backrest is screwed in from each side and is quite an important part in maintaining the structure of the boat.
The screws holding the thread in the backrest part gave after a week or so. the plastic knobs that you tightened would slip off the metal part of the screw.

The rudder pedals.
Probably one of the stupidest fixing systems i have ever seen.

The aluminium used for all the connections in the boat are far too soft and low quality, i had to straighten them to try and keep the thing together.

In the last month of paddling i seriously thought the boat was never going to make it. In Novi Sad i took the skin off and realised both ends had disconnected and things were only held together by the skin. I repaired by tying every part together either with string or duct tape. this worked for the rest of the journey.

TBC...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 am 
The last week after several attempted repairs on the backrest i gave up and would not even need to unscrew the bolts to slot it in. the frame just behind my seat came apart every day and one of the bolts on the side frame sheared out of the wood.

If you want an account of the frustration caused and a much less polite version of things check out
http://sites.google.com/site/danubekayak2010/

I understand you may think this is a one of however the only other wayland owner i met on the trip said he had nothing but problems on his 2man model.

So word of advice: DO NOT BUY WAYLAND.

Also it is far too heavy to take on a plane or carry alone, the whole thing is a waste of money.
I also nearly forgot to mention: this boat is for people shorter than 1m70, I could not close the spray cover because of my knees. (they didn't mention that on the website)
The only way you could make it good is by changing every aluminium part on the boat and fitting klepper sponsoons.

So now i'm looking for a Feathercraft having seen them in action and old men walk away carrying them.

I recommend the Danube, the trip was great. ;-)
THE END

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:38 pm 
A lot of good info.

Trip planning:
Boat should be assembled at least 1 month before the trip, because you might need to buy some new drybags and other things. With importing from other countries you shouldn't order air ticket before you have the boat. Once a parcel traveled 45 days from the USA to my place in Canada. Only once I took a risk of going to 3-week trip without testing the boat on water first, and it was Feathercraft K1 which I bought after using FC Kahuna for 5 years, so I knew what to expect.

Aluminum and other quality - German owners commented that with this company you're taking some risk - can be good and can be bad. But they didn't tell details, so it's good to know what exactly went wrong. It sounds like skin quality and wood were the only good things.

Rudder pedals - the fixing system could be poor, and it was not very good on my Longhaul, but the design of pedals, similar to Klepper, is rather comfortable.

Bulky and heavy for air travel - yes! All wooden frames are. Klepper is same heavy (though they have now light and expensive composite frame). Feathercraft K1 is not very bulky, though it weighs 60 lbs (27 kg) in bag, so you will have to pay for extra weight or put some parts into another bag. K1 is a bit heavy to carry on the shoulder - if you fly and don't stay in hotel, you carry all the empty bags on board, including standard FC bag. These bags are not needed during the trip and therefore are tucked in the ends of the boat and are difficult to unload every time. So you will often need to deal with 60-65 lbs boat even after you've unloaded all the other cargo. Consider some cart.

Sponsons repair:

I had 2 sponson failures during 3 weeks in a reputable Longhaul MK1. Crack where the hose meets sponson bladder and dislodged valve at the end of the hose. Aquaseal glue on the valve and same glue with medical tape on the crack helped. You should never travel without a proper repair kit (this is a separate topic).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:55 pm 
PS: before considering FC K1, see what people say about it. In K1 it is more difficult to load/unload cargo than in wide boats with large cockpit. This can be a lot of nuisance when you move from one camp to another almost every day. But it is easier to paddle, so some of this lost time will be compensated by faster paddling. One thing is sure - with K1 you need to try loading it with cargo at least a few weeks before the trip, to make sure that everything fits.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:52 pm 
faltbootemeister

Alm wrote:
PS: before considering FC K1, see what people say about it. In K1 it is more difficult to load/unload cargo than in wide boats with large cockpit. This can be a lot of nuisance when you move from one camp to another almost every day. But it is easier to paddle, so some of this lost time will be compensated by faster paddling. One thing is sure - with K1 you need to try loading it with cargo at least a few weeks before the trip, to make sure that everything fits.

Thanks to dgma for the information supplied; and to Alm for adding other important details.

Dgma's experiences on this adventure are much appreciated overall. I'm going to refer to this thread to maintain a sense of context with reports of those who have also purchased Wayland singles and doubles (and have shared their experiences) but who have indicated no such frustration. This information will assist in keeping a balance of the two sides of the Wayland story.