Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:44 pm 
John,

It's summer so please spend your time paddling and not looking for old files packed away. I was just thinking, it would be nice to salvage Tyne information before it is lost in time. I know I have the plans for the Tyne Slalom which is the single shown on the page you attached. I am pretty sure I have one, maybe two other Tyne plans. Since I built a PBK 10 in 1990 I know about Clark Craft. I still have those plans as well as some for a 14 or 15 foot PBK kayak that was never built.

I attached some photos of my PBK where it hangs in my sunroom.

This past year I purchased a Brother LC75 scanner/fax/copier and love it. I can scan onto an SD card without hooking it up to a computer, either PDF or jpeg, color or BW. If someone you know has scanner like that, it goes fast.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
Hallo Steve,
thank you for the nice pictures of your beautyful boats.

Your Klepper is the whitewater single T66 and not the Slalom 58.
The Slalom 58 is much smaller:
length: 13'7" (415cm)
width: 24.41" (62cm)
Especially the coaming is really tiny and has no fasteners in the middle.
With it's inner length of only 22" it's so short, that it fits between the ribs 4 and 5.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:44 pm 
Steve,

Is the PBK 10 the short touring 11? Looks great. Thanks for your reply on the Blandford Facebook group, and pointing me here. Seeing what you have accomplished gives me the confidence to build a Blandford folder and cover it in pvc, and even to look for a klepper frame. My dream of owning a quality folder need not be hampered by shallow pockets.

What is your overall impression of the Blandford frame architecture? Are they robust? Yost's instruction makes covering such a frame and making modifications to suit my needs attainable...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 pm 
Michael,

You are right, it is a T66. I received a set of the original instructions with the kayak and they were for a 58 and 66. The seller told me mine was a 58 so I just assumed it. But after looking closely at the instructions you are correct.

Thanks for the information.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:59 pm 
Barry,
I just got a pionier 520Z. I was told it needs a new skin so please let me know how you like the one you ordered. Do you mind telling me how much it cost with shipping? I would love to see some photos of your boat to determine if mine has all its parts intact. The frame looks very good but the seat backs are peeling and there are no seat bottoms.
thank you,
Liz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:29 am 
faltbootemeister

Hello Liz,

Well congrats and welcome to the club!

I hope you are sitting down while you are reading this as the cost of a new skin is pretty steep. I shopped around a bit (yes, these many years later you still have some options). Sources for a new skin are:

Heise Faltboote
ABC Sattlerei
Delphin
Pouch
Wayland

I got quotes (in Euro, so the cost varies with currency exchange) from ABC, Heise, Pouch and Wayland and they ranged from about $1,200 - $2,000 with Wayland being the least expensive. Pouch wanted me to send the the frame, which makes sense from a fitting perspective (extremely important in sponsonless folding kayaks), but that was an additional substantial cost.

I decided to go with Markus Heise because he has an excellent rep for quality work (check the web for that. I also contacted LongHaul here in the US for a quote for a skin for the 520z and they recommended him too). Furthermore, Heise also asked me several question regarding "Todthölzer" and other components that one would have if you the original skin (which I did not), and he is supplying those - none of the other vendors mentioned that! Heise's quote included shipping to the US and he is also including all the wing nuts that are missing on my 520z as well as adding paddle pouches and a life line as I requested. Herr Heise is also sending along some patterns for me to fashion the seat bottoms (he would have supplied new seat bottoms too, but I think I'm up to the task of fabbing up my own. Odd that that those are always missing!)

Btw, as you can see from signature below, I have a skin from Wayland for my Klepper T9. Wayland produces a serviceable product, but, at least in the case of the skin that I got for my T9 several years ago, not what I would consider as high quality as the OEM.

So in the end I rationalized spending a little more for better quality and also, where can you get a nice tandem folding kayak witha complete sailkit for about $2,000? (I lucked out and only paid $60 for the 520z frame with sails, leeboards, and rudder).

I'll post some more of my pix of the 520z to my flickr site (linked elsewhere in this forum).

Perhaps Mike Edelman will take your post and my response and create a new topic, don't want to hijack Tyneguy's thread here.

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65