Another plastic origami kayak

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

mje
Site Admin

Another plastic origami kayak

Post by mje »

Just saw this one on Kickstarter. It shares some characteristics with the Oru, like being made from a single sheet of plastic, and there’s no built-in flotation, or much of a warranty. But this one is only $259 during the startup, which seems more in line.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tu ... ding-kayak
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Another plastic origami kayak

Post by JohnSand »

People must like the idea, they've raised $700,000.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Their warranty is 3 years, which is better than the 1 year Oru warranty.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Jake

Post by Jake »

An ugly little beast but an ingenious one and it might be something to consider for spontaneous excursions upon small waters, perhaps among the mangrove islets in some quiet Florida bayou where oyster shoals are a constant hazard for skin-on-frame boats and inflatables. Traditional folding kayaks are rare here on the Gulf Coast but in the past few weeks I’ve caught a glimpse of three Oru kayaks on the roof racks of passing vehicles and got a close look at an Oru Beach as it was being launched at a local put-in. The owner told me he bought it because he wanted something in which to paddle a small lake near his home in Colorado that was only accessible on foot and he was able to back pack it the mile or so from parking area to the water. Oru’s latest iteration, the Inlet, seems comparable to the Tucktec specs but way overpriced. I think I’d rather have an Innova Safari.

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

Getting past the looks, there is a lot to appreciate, including the price, the warranty and their commitment to the environment. It could make things very convenient for some people to get out on the water.
Hi Jake. You mentioned the Innova Safari. Have you checked out their new Rush 1 kayak? Similar in a lot of ways to the Safari but with a drop-stitch floor. One big difference would be the price, especially if you include the optional removable deck. But it might be worth a look.

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

I read some reviews on this, and one common complaint was it's flexible. At 230#, I need at stiff boat.
And since I already own 5 folding boats and 4 rigid ones, I probably shouldn't buy any more.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Hi Jeremiah, I do find the new Rush 1 interesting and a move in the right direction for inflatables. It might be that the Feathercraft Aironaut served as a model for future inflatable kayaks; a high quality boat with the performance of a good skin-on-frame folder. If anyone can come up with such a boat it would likely be Gumotex. The Rush is close to a foot longer than the Safari 330 with the same width making it effectively a bit narrower and likely more efficient. I have no interest in any boat that requires a paddle longer this 220cm and this is apparently doable with the Safari 330 because it’s self-bailing design makes for a higher paddling posture and thus a shorter paddle than would be normal for its 32 inch width. I don’t know how a 220 would work with the Rush. Maybe some one will buy one and post a detailed review. The other unknown (to me) is the drop-stitch bottom. This is probably the direction in which performance inflatables are going but that technology remains a mystery to me.

Return to “Other boats”