Sawyer paddles

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

ZGphoto
forum fan

Sawyer paddles

Post by ZGphoto »

Has anyone here used either the Sawyer Sea Feather, or Orca, paddles? Time for a new paddle and I'm considering both of these or the Bending Branches Navigator. Any experience or thoughts to share? Thanks in advance for any insights you may have.

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Sawyer paddles

Post by JohnSand »

I have an older Sawyer wood/fiberglass paddle. It's my only high end paddle and my favorite commercial one.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I have a pair of all wood Bending Branches paddles I keep with my A-II that I’ve had for over 20 years. I think they’re older versions of the Navigator. I’m pretty pleased with them.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Well, asking about paddle preferences is sort of like asking what is the best Chicago pizza...it all depends! If you are willing to spend the big $s on a Sawyer then I would also suggest you look at the Werner Kalliste. While the Sawyer, and the Bending Branches, are arguably the "prettiest" paddles out there...they really are pieces of art...the Werner has some design features that are simply amazing, I suggest you read up on the blade design. And in carbon it is about 20% lighter than the Sawyer. As a touring paddle, primarily a low angle power blade, I really like the Werner. Just for fun...on a recent trip in the Everglades I lent my Kalliste to one of the members of our group who is a world class white water kayaker and he did pretty well with it. By "pretty well" I mean that he was able to keep up with the rest of the group who was under sail and averaging 4+ miles per hour for 3 consecutive 20+ mile days. And he was paddling my sluggish A1...with no sail assist. Oh, did I mention he was half the age of the rest of us? Could that have been a factor? Nah...
Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

ZGphoto
forum fan

Post by ZGphoto »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! The main reason I'm considering the Sawyer and Bending Branches paddles (besides the beautiful aesthetics) is that I can get pretty good discounts on them through a friend. I would love to get a Werner, but at the moment I can't justify the extra expense. I'm still leaning towards the Navigator for now, but definitely want to get my hands on a new Werner one of these days!

Return to “Paddles”