Carbon Fiber 2-Piece Paddle Shaft Seized

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Carbon Fiber 2-Piece Paddle Shaft Seized

Post by Christov10 »

Yesterday I went paddling with my son, his friend and his friend's father - floated a section of river in the Upper Cumberland. The Aqua-Bound straight shaft carbon fiber 2-piece shaft seized up - can't get it apart although the metal button pushes in easily enough. Bash it lightly with a hammer to loosen? Heat it with a hair-dryer? Ice it down instead? Use a fine tipped "miracle" oil dispenser to force lubricant into the seam where the shafts join? Vice-grips? Not a big hurry on this but any ideas that've actually worked besides my own cartoon-series ideas, supra, will be much appreciated.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Carbon Fiber 2-Piece Paddle Shaft Seized

Post by Yakadoodle »

How old is it? Just thinking if a warranty would still be open on it.
I think best to ask Aqua-bound that way they cannot say you abused the paddle if you tried their remedy.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

I think I bought in '05-6 for my wife to use with our tandem. Warranty's well past.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Christov10 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:32 pm
I think I bought in '05-6 for my wife to use with our tandem. Warranty's well past.
Oh well then...borrow your neighbors car and tie a rope around the bumper. Then get your car and... 😁

Actually, has it had any salt water use? Dried salt crystals will expand and lock it tight. Vinegar mixed 50/50 with water might do it. Or a product called "Salt Away" might do it to disolve the salt.
Last edited by Yakadoodle on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Nope. Only freshwater use. I may try the vinegar treatment, though. Probably it couldn't hurt.

Rob
forum fanatic

Post by Rob »

I had that happen with a fiberglass paddle a while back.

Couldn't get it apart to save my life.

I finally got another person to twist and pull on one side, while I did the other, then reversing and twisting the other way. It eventually came free, but I thought it was permanently fused prior to that.

Sorry, don't have any good tips, but the vinegar should work.

There are other treatments too, but I don't know if they are safe for fiberglass or carbon fiber, so like they say, check with the manufacturer first - thinking WD-40, vegetable oil, etc., here. I'd shy away from the petroleum stuff, unless the manuf. thinks that's okay to use. Veggie oil should be pretty safe, I would think.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Vegetable oil will go rancid if you do not get it all out after the paddle is apart.
I think Boeshield T-9 would be best to use after the paddle is apart as it will dry to a waxy type covering that will not be greasy.
I'm going to try it now on my Greenland paddle as that is a pita to take apart.
Edit: Do not use Boeshield! It works great on the aluminum tubing on kayaks, but on tight fitting cabon shafts the thickness of the waxy film increase the diameter of the shaft makes it harder to even get it together! I did not want to slide my paddle together all the way fearing it would be harder to come apart.
I'm now looking for a dry graphite spray to try...but what happens to "dry" when you use the paddle?
What I did experience trying the Boeshield is shaft getting black with kevlar dust that was inside the mating half of the paddle
Perhaps that is the problem?
Another thought might be Graphite Lock De-Icer because it will flow and get the graphite into the binding areas.

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

I would try silicone lubricant spray. Dries dry, repels water. If I ever get my original wooden Folbot paddle apart, I'll try it there.

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

I will try to work on it this weekend and report.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

My own experience suggests that small amounts of dust, dirt, abraded particles from the paddle joint itself, and dissolved minerals from fresh water can jam up a tight-fitting carbon or fiberglass joint. Rather than lubricating, I try to keep the joints as clean as possible, occasionally cleaning them and using some very fine 3M synthetic steel wool and rinsing carefully afterwards. I wouldn’t use silicone on a wooden paddle as it will contaminate the finish, get into the wood, and make the repair and refinish of dings and scratches impossible.

As for the stuck joint, vinegar will dissolve any minerals from the water that have crystallized inside.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

squirtdad
forum fan

Post by squirtdad »

FWIW I just got a new Aquabound Manta and and instruction were no lube at all, keep clean, take apart, rinse in freshwater, no lube
Work keeps getting in the way of kayaking, SUP, windsurf, bike and fiddling in the garage activity.

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Yesterday morning after putting away some gear I'd washed and laid out to dry, I again picked up the carbon fiber paddle shaft, pushed the button and twisted - this time it came apart. Was in a hurry to get to other things yesterday, but I will go over the ends that mate with a brush to clear away dust, etc. Other than the problem I had last weekend, the Aquabound's been excellent. Originally bought it for my wife when she was willing to give kayaking a try - now my son's tall enough that it works for him.

Return to “Paddles”