Sawyer???

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Yostwerks

Re: Sawyer???

Post by Yostwerks »

I used to have an ST 1100 like that. Great bike. I replaced it with an Aprilia Futura, quite possibly the most under rated ST ever produced.
I bought the ST 1100 new back in 1991. I'll likely keep it forever.

I had considered getting a used Futura along with the Ducati ST-3 which is also no longer produced. Too bad... both excellent bikes. I ended up getting a Triumph Sprint ST....another underated bike and priced right . Love the torque of that triple...

Good luck going electric. It's the future.

Tom

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Until I read an article in SK about that young Greenlandic kayaking champ (name escapes me) I didn't realize I was using the narrow paddle all wrong. Turned out a lot of teachers were teaching it wrong, too. You can develop tremendous torque with the GP if you use it correctly.

I have an FC Greenland paddle that's great for narrow boats, and one of these days I'm going to make a longer one and see how it works on the Long Haul Mk-I and other wider boats.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

I have an FC Greenland paddle that's great for narrow boats, and one of these days I'm going to make a longer one and see how it works on the Long Haul Mk-I and other wider boats.
My wife is 4'11" and I made her a 102" redwood AP for use in our old Greenland II. She sat on a several inch tall foam block seat to give her a better angle to the water over the tall washboard coaming. It was the only paddle she found comfortable in such a wide boat. On the other hand, I was never comfortable paddling the tall / wide Folbot no matter what paddle I was using :)

Much has been written about the modern wing paddle, and the "lift" it generates. I see the long and narrow blades of the GP / AP as ancient high aspect ratio wings. For long distance paddling, they are comfortable, efficient, and very easy on the shoulders. I like paddles between 94" and 96" long with 22" - 23" looms, and about 80 - 85 sq inch blade surface with a max blade width of between 2.75" and 3.25". My next one's will be even narrower.

Like a narrow greenland SOF kayak, these paddles have a one with the water feel.

Below is Rita's 104" modified AP paddle ( no ridge) ... The plum color was her idea. I much prefer a simple wipe-on Watco oil finish as wet grip is much better .

Regards, Tom

K7Baixo

Post by K7Baixo »

Yostwerks wrote:
Hhhhmmmmm.... need my address?
Hi Gerry,

If you ever build that Sonnet, I'll send you a GP to celebrate the event.
Sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet - I'll take that bet, you're gonna regret 'cause I'm the.... wait, that's from a Charlie Daniels song.

Despite what I said earlier, it was in pure jest. I'll build one of your kayaks for my daughter and wife and I'll build a paddle using your plans. That's all I need - except a time and a kick in the pants.

Return to “Paddles”