Anybody have a Gearlab greenland paddle that fits in K1 bag?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Freeburn
forum fanatic

Anybody have a Gearlab greenland paddle that fits in K1 bag?

Post by Freeburn »

After much research, debate, and help from all of you on foldingkayaks.org, I now have a Feathercraft K1 Expedition in hand. My first few paddles with it have been terrific in a variety of conditions.

The next step is purchasing a more appropiate paddle for long days of touring (currently using a Werner European style paddle). Does anybody have any experience with Gearlab's greenland style paddles? In general I see they get pretty good reviews, but more specifically, does anyone know if one of these paddles can comfortably fit inside the carrying bag with the K1 for airline travel purposes?

Gearlab is selling their stock models on ebay right now for almost half off which is why I ask.

Thanks!

Conor

tsunamichuck
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Anybody have a Gearlab greenland paddle that fits in K1

Post by tsunamichuck »

Freeburn wrote:After much research, debate, and help from all of you on foldingkayaks.org, I now have a Feathercraft K1 Expedition in hand. My first few paddles with it have been terrific in a variety of conditions.

The next step is purchasing a more appropiate paddle for long days of touring (currently using a Werner European style paddle). Does anybody have any experience with Gearlab's greenland style paddles? In general I see they get pretty good reviews, but more specifically, does anyone know if one of these paddles can comfortably fit inside the carrying bag with the K1 for airline travel purposes?

Gearlab is selling their stock models on ebay right now for almost half off which is why I ask.

Thanks!

Conor
I paddled one briefly. One of my paddling buds received one to evaluate. They are ok. The K1 may be a bit wide for a reg GP. Try a Windswift from Eddyline.
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Freeburn
forum fanatic

Post by Freeburn »

Nice recommendation, thank you. I like the fact you can get them in 4-pieces! I will be looking into the Wind Swift further for sure.

tsunamichuck
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by tsunamichuck »

Freeburn wrote:Nice recommendation, thank you. I like the fact you can get them in 4-pieces! I will be looking into the Wind Swift further for sure.
While you are researching http://mitchellpaddles.com/paddles/kt/coastal.html The listed 245 is way to long. I have a 210 that I use quite a bit. It is based on an Aleut design.
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Freeburn
forum fanatic

Post by Freeburn »

Dang, that paddle could be the answer. Doesn't hurt that I think it looks good too. Time to get out the measuring tape to see what I might be able to fit inside the K1 backpack.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

Hi Freeburn,

The Mitchell Greenland paddles are very stout with a flawless finish, a great choice. I was looking for my first Greenland paddle and chose a cheaper one from the rack. Not as nice as the Mitchell but it did put a smile on my face when I used it...like paddling in a higher gear.

You might want to look at the carbon fiber Northern Light Greenland or Aleut paddles. They come in 3 sections so they might fit the K-1 bag. One place you can get them is through Folbot.

Freeburn
forum fanatic

Post by Freeburn »

I remember seeing the Northern Lights paddles on Folbot's website while I was doing my boat research. Looks like a good solution, just a little pricey. I just read a review where a guy mentions being able to easily pack it in his Wisper pack...so the K1 bag shouldn't be an issue. Maybe something I can bring up with my folks around the holidays...or my birthday!

Return to “Paddles”