How Much Finishing Oil to Buy

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

tialloydragon

How Much Finishing Oil to Buy

Post by tialloydragon »

Hello. I am working on building my own greenland paddle, and I'm planning on finishing it with Watco Danish Oil (natural finish.) I'll probably be giving it at least three coats, but i don't know how much coverage i will achieve from the different quantities offered (pint, quart, gallon.) Generally, how much oil have you all used when finishing your greenland paddles? Should i just buy a gallon and not worry about using it haphazardously, or can i get away with buying less and saving a few bucks? Thank you in advance for all your help.

krudave
Site Admin

Re: How Much Finishing Oil to Buy

Post by krudave »

tialloydragon wrote:Hello. I am working on building my own greenland paddle, and I'm planning on finishing it with Watco Danish Oil (natural finish.) I'll probably be giving it at least three coats, but i don't know how much coverage i will achieve from the different quantities offered (pint, quart, gallon.)
A pint should be sufficient. The paddle is approx. 8 feet by 3 in by 3 in (crude estimate of its dimensions). This computes to about 1 ft in circumference. Multiplied by the 8 foot length, you only have about 8 sq ft there. Look on the container and it should have a coverage estimate. I am betting the oil covers 300 sq ft or so per gallon, so a pint would cover about 40 sq ft. That's enough for about 5 coats.

If I'm wrong on the coverage estimate, you'll need to adjust accordingly. Get a quart to be sure, if you like.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Return to “Paddles”