Paddle recommendation for 17" tandem kayak

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

kuraku
paddler

Paddle recommendation for 17" tandem kayak

Post by kuraku »

I picked up an old 70's Folbot Super that's in decent shape and I need some paddles. It's pretty big and looks like this the same as mine:

http://jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com/folb ... super.html

My girlfriend and I intend to use it on a few local lakes in Northern Colorado to just get out and relax on the water, nothing too intense. At the same time we probably won't use it very often so we don't really want to put a lot of money into this setup. I'm interested in these tow:

Option #1 - These appear to be a similar shape to the original Folbot paddles:
https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Unified ... 75&sr=8-25

Option #2:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CUTB1Y/re ... th=1&psc=1

I don't know if the second option offers any advantage or if there's no real difference between the two types of paddles, I looked at some guides about picking paddles and I'm still not sure. They both get good reviews and they're moderately priced. We're both about 6' tall and we're looking at the 96in versions of these.

Thanks in advance!

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Paddle recommendation for 17" tandem kayak

Post by Yakadoodle »

Hi, what you need to look for in these paddles is how long they are.
Before you do that though, check out some You Tube videos on basics of paddling to see the different to see the "High" vs "Low Stroke".
It's not just your arms your using, ideally you are twisting at the waist and you need a good solid place to push your foot against to do the movement.
There's a whole lot of things going on with a paddle that people who do not do it do not think about, but you'll pick it up as you go along.
How wide is that Super? Too too short a paddle will not work. Paddle length are usually sold by the CM. So the 96" long paddle is going to be 240cm long.
The original Folbot shovels that came with the Greenland ll were about 250cm(102") So I would be looking in that length for a start or the longest I've seen advertised was 260cm
What will happen with a short paddle is that you will try to get the blade in the water and wind up hitting the topside of the deck. This is where the Low Stroke comes in and you need a long paddle to do that.
Hopefully some owners of Super's will chime in on this.
If there is a Kayak rental place nearby see if they will let you try out their paddles or check ebay or craigslist. I know there are a lot of paddles on ebay and if you can find a cheap long one you can get started. Dick's Sporting good usually has a selection of paddles.
I would also go the least expensive option right now until you find out how much you like doing it...then open your wallet :shock:
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

In J Kissner,s book Fabulous Folbot Holidays, J Kissner says for the super use 9 foot paddles. I think you might find at this length they are not easy to find. If there are two of you paddling you could use long canoe paddles paddling on opposite sides of the boat.

kuraku
paddler

Post by kuraku »

Yakadoodle wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:28 pm
What will happen with a short paddle is that you will try to get the blade in the water and wind up hitting the topside of the deck. This is where the Low Stroke comes in and you need a long paddle to do that.
Thank you for the information. A longer paddle meant for a low stroke sounds good but there really isn't much above 240cm and the ones I can find tend to be more expensive. This kayak is pretty wide, ~37". It's my understanding the the square ended paddle is more appropriate for a high stroke so that leads to my option #1. I can get two 8 foot paddles for 60 bucks so I think that's my best option.

Return to “Paddles”