Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS ?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:06 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Somehow I ended up with a very sizable dividends credit with REI this year. Match that with a 20% discount on a full price item and Daddy is thinking about upgrading his GPS.

Any of you guys LOVING your GPS units? I think the last time I shopped... and couldn't afford it... I was looking at one of the Garmin marine units that floats... a good thing for me... but the screen on the Montana's is considerably bigger an I think they may even have a camera built in. Price on the Marine unit is about 50% of the Montana though... and I don't think the Montana floats.

Anyway, it's getting about time to start hitting the water again, and how can I determine sailing efficiency without modern technology eh?

... and welcome to all you Folboters. Nice to have you onboard.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: GPS ?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:56 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yo d!

I have had a great experience with my Garmin 76CSx. It has been replaced by the 78 Series, but they are pretty much the same. The real difference is price...I bought mine about 6 years ago and paid about 50% more than what they go for now for the base unit. Plus I had to buy bluechart chip for about another $150, I think the bluechart G2 is now built in and included with the 78.

I have used this in saltwater environment, kept it on the deck in the rain, never dropped it in the water though. It has performed flawlessly, it is accurate to within about 10ft, the screen is bright and clear even in bright daylight. It has way more features than I need, but I rely on it for point-to-point navigation, including ETA and track recording. The tide charts are also useful.

Best,

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor
(sold) 1969 AEII, S2; Kahuna; '80s Klondike; 2005 Java

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I did drop my Garmin 78sc in saltwater. I rinsed it that night but it stopped working shortly afterwards and the techies said it was corrosion. These are NOT waterproof. I now use a Garmin Quatix Gps watch. It's fine for measuring speed and IS waterproof, but not as sophisticated

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Advanced Elements AirFusion 1040, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:53 pm 

Yo G! Whas' up buddy?!

Well, that's the model I've been leaning towards... although I just discovered that REI doesn't sell that one... boo. I kinda like the larger screens on the Montana's but the waterproof/buoyancy has a lot going for it... or does it? So Simon, Garmin didn't offer to replace the unit for you or repair it at an extreme discount? I mean it is supposedly waterproof... what's up with that? Interested to hear the background there Simon.

So Greg, are you happy with the screen size on that model? Seems like I've seen it in the pictures from each of your adventures, always perched in a prominent spot on the bridge... ha.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:05 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Lee, the repair cost was so high it wasn't worth it. No offer to replace it - it's only rated at IPX7, unlike their Quatix which is rated to 10 meters I seem to recall

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), Advanced Elements AirFusion 1040, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:51 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Surprisingly, even for my old eyes, the screen is plenty big. And you can zoom in and out in the map function so it is flexible as well.
I also maintain the gasket on the battery compartment with a shot of silicone every year. I think that is the only place where water can get in, unless there is a defect in the GPS somewhere else.
That said, I looked at the Amazon reviews for the 78 and there are a lot of negatives, including complaints about water entry, smaller screen size, and confusing menus. So I can't vouch for the new unit.
I am getting on the water every other day, hope you are getting out as well.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:42 pm 

Hmmmm, seeings' how REI doesn't sell it (kind of a flashback to the 'Outdoor' magazine thread...), it's expensive and quality may be questionable... maybe I'll just lube up the battery compartment of my old Garmin GPS48 and see if she'll make it through another season. Not even sure if she still works... haven't had her out in a while.

Greg I am seriously impressed. 'Every other day,' that's awesome. I haven't been out once yet. I have been distracted by an aerial quadcopter I picked up for work and a little fun (but it's turned into a non-ending research project of gps and gimbal programming, uhg), but the call of the water is becoming hard to resist. It's also been kinda cold up here with teasing warm days in between. Definitely still dry suit time. I'll try and get out this week with that nudge. You going out in the double or single? Any sailing?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yo D,

I hope you find the right GPS. I think I might have been just lucky with the Garmin 76CSx. In fact, we used it today for the first time this year. My wife and I went for a paddle in 18mph wind, thankfully it was against the flow of the river, so we needed to paddle hard even downstream. Bright sunshine and 70F, just right for viewing the dogwoods, azaleas, and blooming pear trees and maples. Plenty of geese, heron, wood ducks, mallards, muskrats. I have been sailing, solo, and tandem paddling for the last month or so, we have had a beautiful Spring.

Hope you can get out there soon!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:59 pm 

Snowed last night, temp is 41ยบ F at 1p, and the wind is blowing at 25mph... not today... ha.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP