Drysuit Repair Service?

PFDs, flares, signals, flotation bags, radios.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Drysuit Repair Service?

Post by Christov10 »

Any advice, recent experiences regarding drysuit repair services?

I've kept my ancient Bomber Gear Radiator drysuit folded up in a bedroom closet for about the past 10 years. Just got it out this morning to inspect and found dry/gooey tear in the neck gasket as well as dry tear in one of the wrist gaskets. Years ago, I replaced an ankle gasket - it was a hassle and I haven't got time or patience to do that again, now - but that repair appears to have held up. I remember sending the suit out for repair to a torn spot on a knee and can't recall that company's name. May be out of business by now.

Thanks

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Re: Drysuit Repair Service?

Post by Christov10 »

I found the name of the company I'd previously used - Amigos Drysuit Repair in North Carolina. The website's defunct and web searches return no active links for the company. Yesterday morning, I mailed my drysuit to a guy named Jeff Austin at Trinity, Texas. The contact information page shows a map of the business address and if you click on the map or otherwise expand it, a sidebar opens up with street view. Looks like Mr. Austin's operating out of his house in a modest neighborhood near a large-ish lake almost due North of Houston. I think I spent $350 for the used suit in 2006? So, if the repairs turn out badly or the suit disappears altogether, I don't think I will be totally crushed in spirit, as it were. Either way it turns out, I'll report back results.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Drysuit Repair Service?

Post by Yakadoodle »

2006?
Good to know my new suit will have a good lifetime ahead of it!
I have a Kokatat Meridian 2-piece with the zipper around the waist.
Saw it on REI's website for $689.00 and snatched it up because everywhere else was just crazy prices. Really impressed with the quality of it.

I did a "Duck" search for drysuit repair and one I've seen before is the Kayak Acedemy

https://www.kayakacademy.com/collection ... it-repairs
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Return to “Safety and Navigation Gear”