Drysuit Repair Service?

PFDs, flares, signals, flotation bags, radios.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Drysuit Repair Service?

Post by Christov10 »

Any advice, recent experiences regarding drysuit repair services?

I've kept my ancient Bomber Gear Radiator drysuit folded up in a bedroom closet for about the past 10 years. Just got it out this morning to inspect and found dry/gooey tear in the neck gasket as well as dry tear in one of the wrist gaskets. Years ago, I replaced an ankle gasket - it was a hassle and I haven't got time or patience to do that again, now - but that repair appears to have held up. I remember sending the suit out for repair to a torn spot on a knee and can't recall that company's name. May be out of business by now.

Thanks

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Re: Drysuit Repair Service?

Post by Christov10 »

I found the name of the company I'd previously used - Amigos Drysuit Repair in North Carolina. The website's defunct and web searches return no active links for the company. Yesterday morning, I mailed my drysuit to a guy named Jeff Austin at Trinity, Texas. The contact information page shows a map of the business address and if you click on the map or otherwise expand it, a sidebar opens up with street view. Looks like Mr. Austin's operating out of his house in a modest neighborhood near a large-ish lake almost due North of Houston. I think I spent $350 for the used suit in 2006? So, if the repairs turn out badly or the suit disappears altogether, I don't think I will be totally crushed in spirit, as it were. Either way it turns out, I'll report back results.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

2006?
Good to know my new suit will have a good lifetime ahead of it!
I have a Kokatat Meridian 2-piece with the zipper around the waist.
Saw it on REI's website for $689.00 and snatched it up because everywhere else was just crazy prices. Really impressed with the quality of it.

I did a "Duck" search for drysuit repair and one I've seen before is the Kayak Acedemy

https://www.kayakacademy.com/collection ... it-repairs
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Sorry I've left this thread hanging. It took the USPS about 10 days to get the package from Middle Tennessee to Texas. Originally, it was supposed to take about four or five days. Once the repair service got it, they had it sent back to me within the week. Cost was as described on the service's website. The results look very good. I still haven't stretched the seals - we don't have any 2 liter pop bottles or even 20 oz bottles to stretch them. Just haven't thought about buying soda and will have to add it to the shopping list.

The fellow who owns the shop does the work from a building on his property. He is semi-retired, in his seventies.

Here's the website: https://www.drysuitsplus.com/

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Geez...what size neck do you have? I need a gallon bleach jug for mine! : :lol:
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Return to “Safety and Navigation Gear”