Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best float bags
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:44 am 
Hi
looking at getting pair of float bags for klepper quattro. I keep reading that Feathercraft are amongst the best. Any thoughts suggestions would be welcome.

Post subject: Re: Best float bags
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:36 am 
Site Admin

big ron wrote:
Hi
looking at getting pair of float bags for klepper quattro. I keep reading that Feathercraft are amongst the best. Any thoughts suggestions would be welcome.
Many good choices out there. I suspect that the Rec 4.0 or 6.0 from Voyageur might be the correct size for filling the ends: http://www.voyageur-gear.com/2002_produ ... r=B#V32610

Rutabaga can order these for you.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:46 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Feathercraft bags are very good, but they're also very expensive. $60 for a float bag? Pish! Also, they lack grommets, so you can't tie them in, and they're designed for FC boats which are signifigantly narrower than Kleppers.

I've been using generic no-name float bags for three years with no problems. They cost the equivalent of $10 a pop. I've only ever had one leak, and that only a pinhole, so it deflated very slowly. Flotation is very important, vital even, but the risk of catastrophic failure seems very small to me. My advice? Do your wallet a favour and go for something cheaper.

Nohoval

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Feathercraft are indeed the best, as they combine a leakproof PVC inner bladder with an abrasion resistant nylon outer bag. But as noted, they're specific to Feathercraft boats.

I've used a great variety of bags, and never had any leak. I suggest you get 2 or 3 bags designed for white water canoing. They're perfect for the larger volume of folding boats. And bring a patch kit and a spare.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:31 am 
forum fanatic

The float bags that came with my FoldingCraft lasted only a few weeks. I used two Seattle Sport large (stern) bags -had to buy two sets - and got a bit better wear but still had the occasional puncture. I then bit the bullet and got a pair of large FeatherCraft bags. Adding a grommet to each was a simple operation. They have been in service for over two years without even the hint of a problem. Very reassuring...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:56 pm 
forum fanatic

krudave wrote:
big ron wrote:
Hi
Many good choices out there. I suspect that the Rec 4.0 or 6.0 from Voyageur might be the correct size for filling the ends: http://www.voyageur-gear.com/2002_produ ... r=B#V32610

Rutabaga can order these for you.

Hello,
I also have to find flotation bags for the Klepper Tandem
I tried the above link but I may not find my way around ... :oops:

Any help on flotation bags is very welcomed..

Post subject: best float bags
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:17 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Look in the PHOTO GALLERY on page 2 you will see what Chris Wilkes has done, might tell you what you want to know.I have a number of slender bags made for hard shells with grommets so they are tied in and they have long inflation tubes.( made by DAGGER)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Ditto for Feathercraft. I have a pair and used them in my Klondike, and now with K-I. The inner casing and outer protective envelope gives me a pretty good insurance.

Here is one of the ways I install them.

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 pm 
NRS makes float bags that are very strong. Check them out online.