The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 pm 
Just found this here: http://www.adventurekayakmag.com/featur ... doors.html

just released yesterday
Hugh

DeLorme and SPOT Unveil First Handheld GPS with Satellite Communicator

New SPOT Satellite Communicator and Earthmate PN-60w combine GPS navigation with custom messaging and emergency notification

January 6, 2010

Las Vegas, NV - Spot LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Globalstar Inc. (NASDAQ: GSAT) and a leader in personal satellite communications and DeLorme, the innovation leader in mapping and GPS technologies, today jointly announced the world’s first rugged, handheld GPS and satellite communicator product. The DeLorme Earthmate® PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator will be the first handheld GPS navigation device capable of sending customized text messages even when the user is operating far beyond the range of cellular communications. General product availability is scheduled for Spring 2010, and will be unveiled this week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

The revolutionary SPOT Satellite Communicator, designed exclusively for the new PN-60w, merges SPOT satellite message functionality and DeLorme state-of-the-art GPS mapping via wireless. Together, this product pairing offers broader messaging capabilities. Users can send freeform text messages using the PN-60w’s keyboard to select individuals or groups from the field even from remote areas world-wide.

Established SPOT technology allows real-time location updates and the ability to summon help in an emergency. Custom messages and waypoints can easily be shared with social networking sites like SPOTadventures.com, Geo-caching.com, Twitter, and Facebook. As an emergency back-up, the SPOT Satellite Communicator has stand-alone capability to send location-based SOS notification to an emergency response center.

“Today’s announcement combines the latest in sophisticated handheld GPS with SPOT satellite communications providing one-of-a-kind, custom messaging and sharing of geo-location information with others in real-time,” said Peter Dalton, President of Spot LLC and CEO of Globalstar Inc. “We are excited to partner with DeLorme in bringing to market a new wireless GPS solution to consumers.”

“For the first time, people will be able to type custom text messages using the Earthmate PN-60w internal keyboard and then transmit wirelessly to the unique DeLorme SPOT Communicator for sending satellite messages around the globe,” said Caleb Mason, DeLorme Vice President.

Users of the PN-60w can easily manage their profile online including custom maps and message history utilizing a fully integrated user interface designed by SPOT. Information can be kept fully private or shared with family and friends using custom tools like SPOT Shared Pages and SPOTadventures.com.

As a stand-alone GPS, the Earthmate PN-60w delivers premium navigation features including a 32-channel GPS chipset, blazing-fast dual-core processor, 3-axis electronic compass, sensitive barometric altimeter, elevation profiles, and GPX file transfers.

At CES, DeLorme also will be announcing new worldwide map data for the PN-60w, including high-resolution color aerial imagery.

SPOT also will be showcasing its SPOT Satellite Messenger product family and satellite-based services at CES including the award-winning SPOT Personal Tracker™ and the new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger™. Learn about new SPOT Assist services, including SPOT Assist Roadside, providing the only satellite-based roadside assistance and SPOT Assist Maritime providing direct access to BoatU.S. Towing services with the push of a button.

Availability
The PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator is scheduled to be available in Spring 2010 at retail locations and online sites specializing in GPS, outdoor recreation and electronics products. They can also be ordered from DeLorme at http://www.delorme.com or by calling 800-561-5105.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 pm 
Good. Now it's time to ban it while kayaking and boating (unless docked/anchored), same as some states and Canadian provinces banned texting and phone calls while driving. I wonder, though, if such a ban would trigger massive use of a Bluetooth-style hands-free devices on water, like it did on roads, and then we'll see some odd guys paddling and talking loudly to himself :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:56 pm 
If this SPOT product works anything like my current SPOT Satellite "Personal Tracker," you can have it.

When I use mine on the open water, it's works "most" of the time. It depends on the weather (e.g. cloudy or not) or if you're near trees and/or other obstructions. If you are, then it's "spotty." When I use it while hiking in the woods, or any other place like that, forget it. I'm lucky to get anything. I'm glad that I didn't order the continuous tracking feature. It would have been a waste of money.

By the way, the company told me that on this product, the 911 feature uses a different satellite or something which gives it "enhanced" abilities. I don't know why they didn't incorporate that ability into the entire unit in the first place.

I had a high hopes for this device when I first got it almost a year ago. Now, I doubt if I'll renew my service.

Just my Image