Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:36 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yeah, I just checked out their site. Looks like a good skirt. I hope it is not a ' wrestling man's special ' like you describe. I have always sheid away from Neoprene here in the South, but will be as water proof as you can get....and a good feel in the cool wet winters here ( if we ever get any rain again ).

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:50 pm 
I ordered from the guys at www.nwoc.com because they seemed to have the best selection. Turns out they did not have the XL size deck in stock, but contacted me same day by email and telephone. They checked with Snapdragon, which is in the same area, and the company didn't have anything in stock, either. Instead of the full neoprene skirt, they're making and NWOC will send out a Glacier Trek (or Tour) with a breathable tube. I'm guessing it will be only slightly cooler than the neoprene tube. But at least Snapdragon's not trying to get me to do a cockpit tracing and spring for some custom sewing.

Later edit: I do want to say that the people with whom I spoke and exchanged emails at Seals were polite and helpful. C.

Post subject: Arrived This Evening
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:33 pm 
The skirt arrived this evening, so I stuck it in the gearbag and will try it out tomorrow, practicing some wet exits and stuff while the lake-water's still warm and the air temp's sufficient to dry me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:42 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

You guys got enough rain up there today to fill the lakes back up. Should be nice tomorrow.

We'll try to paddle the Chattahoochee some time this weekend.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:08 pm 
We did get a lot of rain all at once. I'm hoping it will help keep alive a young apple tree we planted year before last - it's pretty stressed, has lost its leaves but still feels resilient. The morning glories have finally started blooming.

The Snapdragon XL deck fits the E68's coaming well, at least in neoprene. It kept the boat's interior dry except for the water that came in with me in my Wal-Mart water shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:21 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

So Chris, here is what the wife wants now.
http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=dlx

This is a new one to me...sez she is adding it to a birthday list or something :roll:

The Metro atlanta sea kayakers are trying to get a group for a weekend paddle to

http://www.lakejocassee.com/ Assets/downloads /LakeJocasseeMap .pdf

sometime this fall. Any interest? It would be a weekend trip and there is some good camping around the lake.

Not sure of dates yet, but will keep you informed if you are interested.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

kk wrote: So Chris, here is what the wife wants now.
http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=dlx

This is a new one to me...sez she is adding it to a birthday list or something

Paddled with a woman who had a Goretex sprayskirt on her hardshell. Worked well for her. Down side re: neo deck/nylon tunnel skirts is that the deck sags and pools water: if you do get a leak, it is going onto your lap!

In any case, it is a wet sport. :roll: :wink:

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:37 am 
kayakamper wrote:
The Metro atlanta sea kayakers are trying to get a group for a weekend paddle to
http://www.lakejocassee.com/Assets/down ... seeMap.pdf
sometime this fall...Not sure of dates yet, but will keep you informed if you are interested.
Yes, I am interested, although as a relatively inexperienced newcomer to the sport, wouldn't want to slow you all down any. Dates may be a headache for me, as this is our year to spend both Thanksgiving and Christmas in Indiana with my wife's family. If it's not too cold up there around Thanksgiving, it's sometimes fun to take a handgun and shoot up soup, pop, and vegetable cans, impress pointilistic designs in barn doors that've been dragged out to farm's junk pile at the edge of some woods. Christmas is just too cold up there for plinking.

krudave wrote:
Down side re: neo deck/nylon tunnel skirts is that the deck sags and pools water: if you do get a leak, it is going onto your lap!

In any case, it is a wet sport. Rolling Eyes Wink
My previous NRS all nylon skirt this year served only to slow the ingress of paddle and other splash. The Snapdragon skirt appears very well made with nicely finished, taped seams, overall good workmanship, maybe it'll be another year or two before it begins to leak. I think next skirt I get, if it has a fabric tunnel of some sort, I'll opt for suspenders, as opposed to a velcro-grip arrangement, to keep it up around my chest in order to minimize pooling at the juncture of deck and tube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Christov wrote:

>>Yes, I am interested, although as a relatively inexperienced newcomer to the sport, wouldn't want to slow you all down any. Dates may be a headache for me, as this is our year to spend both Thanksgiving and Christmas in Indiana with my wife's family. If it's not too cold up there around Thanksgiving, it's sometimes fun to take a handgun and shoot up soup, pop, and vegetable cans, impress pointilistic designs in barn doors that've been dragged out to farm's junk pile at the edge of some woods. Christmas is just too cold up there for plinking.<<

Don't worry about the experience thing, we usually go at a pretty calm pace. Not sure of the dates yet, but will let you know. Maybe it will be a time when you can do it.

Dave wrote:

>>Paddled with a woman who had a Goretex sprayskirt on her hardshell. Worked well for her. Down side re: neo deck/nylon tunnel skirts is that the deck sags and pools water: if you do get a leak, it is going onto your lap! <<

Do you know if she was using this brand of skirt? I know my wife would not like that.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

kk wrote: >> Paddled with a woman who had a Goretex sprayskirt on her hardshell. Worked well for her. Down side re: neo deck/nylon tunnel skirts is that the deck sags and pools water: if you do get a leak, it is going onto your lap! <<

Do you know if she was using this brand of skirt? I know my wife would not like that.

No, it was a different skirt; however, sagging is endemic to all skirts of that style. Neoprene decks are under tension, so they remain flat and spill water better.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.