Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm 
paddler

Hi... I am 65 years old. I am moving to a town with a big lake (Chapala Lake in Mexico).It is a quiet lake. I do not want to go into fast rivers. I just want to do excercise and enjoy nature. I am wondering if the Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Convertible Inflatable Kayak is a good choice for this purpose. I am new to kayaking. I do not want to have problem with equilibrium or fall into the water very easily. I just want to have fun, SAFETY, take pictures, make some excersise and enjoy nature. Thanks for your advice. I am includimg the BECKSON MARINE Beckson Canoe & Kayak Pump - 18" L, 8GPM w/Float-a-Pump , the Onyx MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest , Premier Kayak Bungee Paddle Leash/Accessory leash , the ADVANCED ELEMENTS Double Action Hand Pump with Pressure Gauge, the gloves, the Advanced Elements Ultralite Pack Kayak Paddle and I guess that is it !! Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:44 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

A wide inflatable like the AE Convertible will be very stable, though the AE convertible is quite heavy for a inflatable kayak and will be slow to paddle. At 52 pounds it is around the weight of a hardshell plastic solo kayak. Do you really need one that converts to a tandem for two people? If you will mostly paddle alone that is just extra weight and cost and makes for a slower boat and more work to set up.

As long as you stay near shore it should be all right, but Chapala is a quite large lake and could be windy and have strong waves in some conditions. It could be difficult for you to paddle back to shore if you get out too far and the wind picks up. Inflatables tend to catch the wind.

The AE Ultralight is NOT a very good paddle. The aluminum shaft and blocky blade design will make it inefficient and tiring. If you are ordering the boat as a package ask them to offer a better paddle. It would be better to get a fiberglass or carbon shaft paddle with smaller blades. Personally I like the Cannon Wave carbon 4 piece paddle better than AE's paddles. AirKayaks sells them and often has good sale prices on them. It is very important to have a good paddle. The paddle and you are the "engine" driving the kayak so you want a good one.

Before you start kayaking you should get some instruction including self rescue (getting yourself back into the boat if you capsize in water over your head. Kayaking is not intuitive -- having someone teach you proper paddling and safety will go a long way in being able to enjoy the sport.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:37 pm 
paddler

Thank for your advice.. I don't really need one that converts to two people. What would you be your advice ?? You are right a smaller one will make it !! I will follow your advice on the paddle. best regards. Thanks. Santiago

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

There have been very positive reports on the Sea Eagle model 393 drop stitch floor inflatable kayaks. Here is a link to a solo version. I have heard that they more rigid than the Advanced Elements models and paddle faster.

https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/393r ... B#393RLK_P

Aquaglide also has several solo models. Airkayaks.com sells all of them.

Longer boats will paddle faster and track better. If you mostly will stay close to shore and don't care about speed, the shorter boats will be fine. But if you plan to paddle any distance, like across the lake, you would want something at least 12' long.

Another option is folding kayaks Like the 10 kg Pakboat Puffin Saco.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:33 pm 
paddler

Thank you very much indeed.... Very kind... SC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm 
paddler

In this video https://youtu.be/UJKEVxGVWVY in minute 1:18 they recommend the eagle fast track 385 and they praise its stability.$900 the complete set. I wonder if this is OK.
https://www.seaeagle.com/FastTrackKayaks/385ft

The people at Air Kayaks suggests the Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Sport DS Inflatable Kayak - AE1017DS at $549.00 but I'm not sure if it is the complete set.
https://www.airkayaks.com/advanced-elem ... -ae1017ds/

But just considering the kayak What do you think ??

Best regards

Santiago

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Honestly, the Advanced Elements at 10' long and 32" wide is more of a raft than a kayak. It will be very slow. The $549 includes the pump, seat and carrying bag but not a paddle. That is not a problem since the paddles in the "packages" are usually not that great. Better to select your own. But I still say that boat is too short for lake paddling. It is for small ponds and narrow streams. The Airkayak people may not realize how big the lake you are planning to paddle in is.

I think the FastTrack 393 they suggest is a much better choice. Besides being very stable due to having a stiffer floor than the other boat, it has narrower side walls that will not get blown around on the big lake and it has two tracking additions on the keel to keep it paddling straighter and faster. I think it would serve you MUCH better than the little Advanced Elements boat.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 am 
paddler

Thank you so much. I will follow your advice !! Thanks SC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:03 pm 
paddler

I followed your advice. I just need to buy the carbon paddles TK so much. Santiago

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.