Looking for our first folding kayak. A Klepper Quattro?

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Christian
forum fan

Re: Looking for our first folding kayak. A Klepper Quattro?

Post by Christian »

gbellware wrote:Christian,
Couple more opinions...
The S1 or S2 sails that Klepper sells are perfectly functional. But, despite their size, they can't compete with the more modern, high-tech fabric, shaped,fully-battened sails made by BSD. And while neither the Klepper or BSD are easy to strike while underway it can be done much more easily with BSD. And most of the BSD sails can be reefed, in fact many of them have two reefing points that can easily be put "in" or "out" while underway. On the other hand, if you get out and find the wind is too big for you in the Klepper sails your only choice is to take everything down. As you can tell, my opinion of the Klepper sail system is that it is for fair weather day sailing only.
As for outriggers...they used to be thought of a training wheels. Not so. If you use any amount of sail in winds above, say, 10mph you will need outriggers to keep the boat upright. The outriggers turn your kayak into a modified catamaran and I never sail without them.
As for Quattro vs. Expedition...it is not "either/or". Klepper makes the Quattro in standard hull or Expedition hull.
Hope that helps, and good luck with the search!
g
Hi,
I saw the avatar picture,
do you have a BSD sail and a "traditional" front jib?
How much sail area do you have in everything?

C
Pizza, sole e mandolino.

Christian
forum fan

Post by Christian »

Chgt GmbH July it'll
Last edited by Christian on Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pizza, sole e mandolino.

Christian
forum fan

Post by Christian »

I checked on the Klepper website, and the price seems slightly different € 4890 = about $ 5400

https://kleppershop.de/klepper-faltboot ... ro-ii-545/

If you want something good, it's clear that you have to spend, but € 3,000 for me, even if I'm from the Italian Mafia, it's still a lot of money ...
Pizza, sole e mandolino.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Christian,
The avatar is of my Klepper single with a 36 sq.ft. main and a 39 sq.ft. furling jib. It is a lot of sail for that 15 ft. kayak but it can be reefed and furled to make it manageable in (almost) any wind. I use the same setup on the Quattro and have even added a second mainsail, sort of a mizzen, to that kayak. It really keeps me busy in the cockpit and it keeps my fellow sailors in laughs!
People can get all sorts of attitude when it comes to sailing so I offer my opinions with an abundance of humility and caution. Do what you want, creativity is at least half the fun. But just to be clear, I think the S1/2 sail is sort of like a cassette player in a classic Mercedes.
Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Christian
forum fan

Post by Christian »

Goodmorning everyone,
I found this ad:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... -211-1272
a four with sails!
it has no paddles, no cart.
but it seems to me to be kept well and at a good price.

what do you think?
Pizza, sole e mandolino.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Christian,
That looks like a fair price for a really nice boat. Can't tell if it is a 545 or 520, I suspect 545 but I would check with seller to make sure. If it is 545 then this is a good deal. I know it is not an Expedition, but that is no big deal either. And the sail is interesting but as I have already opined not a real addition in terms of value. Hope it works out for you,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Christian
forum fan

Post by Christian »

thanks gbellware, for the reply. I wrote to the seller. I wait to see what he will tell me. I know what you think of these sails. in the meantime I will have these then later I can think of something more performing
Pizza, sole e mandolino.

Christian
forum fan

Post by Christian »

logically I had not been fast enough to travel the 2000 km that separated me from the kayak!
It will be for the next one!
Pizza, sole e mandolino.

Return to “What boat for me?”