Is a folding kayak the tight boat for me

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Jazznow
paddler

Is a folding kayak the tight boat for me

Post by Jazznow »

Hi everybody
I recently purchased a full drop stitch kayak and had it out on lakes and rivers around 20 times. I love how uncomplicated everything is (transportation, setup).

However especially on windy days around 4-5 bft it's quite a fight. The boat sits more or less on top of the waves and while I never feeled I could capsize, it was like a roller coaster. I took a lot of water too.

Performance is surprisingly good for an inflatable kayak but way below a rigid hull kayak which I know from 15 years ago.

So if I look for another kayak I would want:
- something that performs better (for longer tours, maybe even several days),
- that is suitable for windy days and bad weather (something that cuts through waves and not sits on top. Should stay stable though)
- is portable and easy to setup. I don't have room for a rigid hull. Setup time should be under half an hour.
- is easy to dry. Building it up at home to let it dry is not an option. At the moment I wipe the ds kayak with dry towels and hope for the best :)
-it should be around 390cm (13ft)
-should be long living and easy to repair

Are there foldable kayaks that meet my needs. Should be easy to purchase in Europe.

Currently I'm having a closer look at the pakboats quest or the bottom fold (like an oru kayak)

Hope you can help me
Regards
Jazz

voyageur
forum fan

Re: Is a folding kayak the tight boat for me

Post by voyageur »

A FOLBOT YUKON fits all your requests if you can find a nice used one.
2003 Folbot Yukon 70th anniv. model, 2010 Folbot Kodiak

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

Welcome aboard! I think that there are several folders that will meet your needs. I hope you find the right boat. Keep us posted.

siravingmon
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by siravingmon »

See my other posts on Pakboats. For what it costs, you won’t find a more seaworthy folding kayak than the 150 in my opinion.

You’ve discovered the main disadvantage of kayaks with drop stitch floors which is that you sit too high because of the depth of the floor so they are inherently unstable unless you make them unnecessarily wide which means that they are slow
Simon

Feathercraft Wisper, Firstlight 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, KXone Airrow 17, Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416, Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI
AE Air Fusion Evo wanted, Incept k40 for sale

Jazznow
paddler

Post by Jazznow »

Thanks for the reports so far.
Can you give me some hints at maintaining a foldable kayak?
I need to set it up and pack it down every time.
Do I need to dry the kayak? Would it be possible to just hang the skin on the lines I use for drying clothes? I could put it in the cellar too and only put the ribs in and let it sit for one or two days. Anything else would be difficult because I live in an apartment house with several (easily pissed off) neighbors.
Is this even necessary or would it be sufficient to dry it off thoroughly with some dry rags.

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

I use mine in salt water, and rinse it and dry it every time.

Jazznow
paddler

Post by Jazznow »

How do you dry it. That's the important part for me:) I can't just set it up at home to let it dry. Not enough space.

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

I own a house, I lay it over a picnic table in the back yard. I have read that it should be dried assembled, but I usually just lay out the skin,

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

When I get off the water I remove the frame and with the skin stretched out I will pick up the ends and shake them to try and get most of the water towards the middle. I will then sponge every drop. Much of the skin will dry while you're putting your gear away. But the work isn't done, especially in the ends of the kayak and the sleeves that hold the sponsons. When I get home I will lay out the skin and prop it open with the ribs (something you mentioned) to let air circulate. If you do that in your basement I think I would leave it like that until you're ready to paddle again.
Should say that the kayak I was referring to is a Feathercraft with a sealed deck. The Pakboat Quest has been recommended. With it's removable deck and sleeveless sponsons this kayak dries incredibly fast! I can say this because of my experience with a Pakboat Swift.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Jazz,
It would be difficult, perhaps impossible, to satisfy all of the requirements you’ve listed for a skin-on-frame folding kayak. As far as I know, there is presently no inflatable that paddles like a traditional SOF folder with, perhaps, the Razorlite 393 being the exception. I’m a bit puzzled that Gumotex/Innova has yet to come up with a performance oriented inflatable, something along the lines of the Feathercraft Aironaut but with the Gumotex reputation for durability and simple maintainence. Their new Rush 1&2 seem to be a move in that direction but they’ve yet to be proven. And then there’s Oru. Oru seems to be selling boats, lots of them. I spotted several in Florida waters this past winter and only a single SOF folder, my own FC Kurrent. The Oru, a truly ingenious folding kayak, is reputed to be tough and very durable, at least by the people who sell them, but i was not impressed by what I felt were mediocre fittings and a seat in the Bay ST that appeared to be something of an after thought. It made me wonder if the boats are as rugged and durable as the manufacturer boasts than why are they only warrantied for one year? Even the homely little Tuff-Tec, a 10 foot boat similar in concept to the Oru comes with a three year warranty. And the Oru kayaks are not inexpensive. The Bay ST cost $1500 plus shipping while you can buy a new Pakboat 150 for $1425. But the Oru Bay can be assembled in less than 10 minutes and disassembled in less time than that. If that is a top priority than it’s probably a matter of choosing between an inflatable and something like the Oru. And, by the way, paddling any kayak in a Beaufort Force 5 breeze will be hard work😊.

Jazznow
paddler

Post by Jazznow »

Just to update you: Found a SOF Kayak that seems to be perfect for me. Quick setup, easy to maintain, not too long (405cm), not too expensive. Found a retailer within 1,5h drive who had one listed on the homepage. Called him: He sold it last week, will get new one hopefully in 4 weeks. I wont buy a 2k€ boat without testing it! Really frustrated right now. :/

Btw. it was the nautiraid Cross 405, a French manufacturer.

Jazznow
paddler

Post by Jazznow »

Hi everybody,

first of all: Thanks for your information and help in this thread.

i just got my Nautiraid Narak Cross 405 (they need to find shorter names).
Send my Wife to the store because i had to work, but managed to go for a short trip in the afertnoon, before the weather was too bad.

The boat is great i like it very much. Its more unstable than i imagined, but i think i can work that out. Wind wasnt adding to stability too with around 28mph in peaks.

Setting up is a breeze. i neded around 20-25min for the first time ever setting up a sof kayak.
Need to tweak the seat a little bit, it wasnt very comfortable, but that could be, because i made something wrong when installing it.

Tomorrow the weather is even worse, so i will build it up in the living room, and see what i can do with the seat.
Can i break something when sitting in it in the living room?

And another question: When entering in the water, do i step on the skin or the frame? I did it standing on the skin today, because i didnt want to bend the aluminium rods.

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

Congratulations on the new kayak. Nautiraids are beautiful kayaks and well made.
Setting up in your living room is perfect because you won't have any distractions. You won't harm anything. I have a Feathercraft and I have always stepped between the aluminum stringers onto the skin. I wasn't worried so much about bending the tubes. I didn't want to pop the tube away from the rib. Either way it's a good practice not to step on the tubes.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

From their reputation you have bought a very good make of boat. From what I have seen the British Commandoes now use Nautiraid instead of Klepper so you can,t get a better recommendation. If you never look at the assembly as a chore but something of interest you will enjoy your folder for years to come. These boats keep us young. Look after it and take care .

Jazznow
paddler

Post by Jazznow »

ok, so my quest has ended. was on the lake yesterday for the second time (build it up in the living room in the meantime and got the seat right).
I could hardly be more happy. its small, easy to handle, runs a straight line good for a boat of that length anad is reasonable fast. i Love it.
Thanks everybody.

Return to “What boat for me?”