Klepper Aerius Expedition 490 vs Nautiraid KARAN 520 vs Long Haul Mark I Expedition

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Housecaz
recent arrival

Klepper Aerius Expedition 490 vs Nautiraid KARAN 520 vs Long Haul Mark I Expedition

Post by Housecaz »

Hello!

I'm brand new to folding style Kayaks, and mostly to Kayaks in general.

I'm 6'2", 220lbs and size 12 shoes.

I'm looking for an expedition sea kayak for both day trips and also loaded overnight / extended trips. I would like to be able to use the kayak in open water (ocean), as well as rivers and lakes, cold and tropical.

I think I want either a Klepper Aerius 490, a Karan 520, or a Long Haul Mark I Expedition, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me the big differences between them, that I am unable to figure out without a little more experience?

Also, I know the Aerius and Karan both support air sponsons. Can you tell me if they are required on both? Does the Long Haul use / require / support sponsons?

Also, in some forum post I read something about a flaw in the Long Haul design that led to the frame poking into the back of the seat... is that an actual issue?

In any case, it never hurts to have so many good choices.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

mje
Site Admin

Re: Klepper Aerius Expedition 490 vs Nautiraid KARAN 520 vs Long Haul Mark I Expedition

Post by mje »

I have a Long Haul Mark I, and I’m about your size. It’s an excellent boat, and support for parts and repair is superb. As for the problem you describe, the Long Haul seats have a plywood back, so I can’t imagine how such a thing could happen.

I’ve also owned several Kleppers and currently own an Aerius II expedition. The Long Haul boats are based on the classic Klepper designs, with, I think, some significant improvements, like stainless steel hardware.

I’ve owned a couple of Nautiraids, and my impression is that they’re very seaworthy, the hull construction is excellent, but the wooden frames are not as well made as the Long Haul and Klepper frames. I haven’t paddled the Karan 520, but it looks like it might be a little narrow for you. I’m just guessing, though.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Housecaz
recent arrival

Re: Klepper Aerius Expedition 490 vs Nautiraid KARAN 520 vs Long Haul Mark I Expedition

Post by Housecaz »

Excellent, thank you mje!

Return to “What boat for me?”