Lightweight kayak for SF bay

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Lightweight kayak for SF bay

Post by JohnSand »

Hi Binghoko, welcome aboard!
I think you'll find some food for thought here. I'm interested in hearing your test results. You can also search for accounts of Oru use in tough conditions, I'm sure you'll find some blogs or Youtube videos.

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

To Binghoko,
Don't be discouraged. I don't think anyone is saying an Oru kayak isn't safe in general. I would say it's more about you're particular model and the type of conditions you may use it in. There is no inherent flotation and, as Michael said, you will need full volume flotation bags. The deck is not water tight and the large cockpit does not accommodate a spray deck/skirt. You would quickly bog down in conditions where waves are washing over you. You said you were waiting for warmer water. Maybe that tells me that you already realize that your Oru wasn't meant for certain types of paddling. Knowing your limitations is a good thing.
Oru keeps expanding their fleet. They're certainly one of the quickest ways to get out on the water if you can't own a hard shell.
If you go to Oru in this forum, look up the posted comments of someone named Bullethead. He has a lot of good things to say about Oru and their durability. You should get a lot of pleasurable paddling from your new kayak.

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

I would think of the Oru Beach LT as a 12 foot open, double-paddle canoe and confine its use to the more protected waters along the North Shore. There’s so much to see and experience in such semi-sheltered, along-shore waters that you’re not likely to be bored. My personal experience with open water paddling has too often been that it is either boring or terrifying and sometimes both. I think you’ve made a good choice in the Beach LT; it's light, easy to assemble and versatile. Enjoy!

squirtdad
forum fanatic

Post by squirtdad »

just popped up on craigslist for sf bay https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/ ... 43305.html
Work keeps getting in the way of kayaking, SUP, windsurf, bike and fiddling in the garage activity.

squirtdad
forum fanatic

Post by squirtdad »

Work keeps getting in the way of kayaking, SUP, windsurf, bike and fiddling in the garage activity.

Return to “What boat for me?”