Some Critera/Reasons Why A Folding Kayak Is For You

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

mel

Post by mel »

After lots of thought when I started the Bagboater group, input from startup members like Michael Edleman and Ralph Diaz, and editing, we came up with this list of things to think about.

Our Foldables:

1. Last longer, 25-30 years minimum, maybe are immortal
2. Are more stable and like rough water
3. Descend from the start of modern kayaking; and a 2nd generation descendent of the aboriginal kayak
4. Don't have to be stored outside, a closet will do
5. Don't have someone stealing since stored indoors
6. Don't have sun, wind, winter damage from outdoor storage
7. Are one with the water

Now these apply to all foldables and that includes inflateables like the Puffins by Alv Elvestad and the SOTs by Feathercraft

bwb

Inflatable?

Post by bwb »

You called the fine Puffin a craft that’s inflatable
A statement I find to be highly debatable

A folder in truth it is partly pneumatical
But has a real frame, which is seldom rheumatical

Two gunwales, a keelson, four ribs,and a deck above
Like most any folder you might want to name and love

Inflatables never such bones are outfitted with
It’s only some stringers the Puffin omitted with

mel

Post by mel »

Nice Poem, Nice boat 8)

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I think it's clear that we must proclaim bwb as our forum poet laureate;

His skill with verse surpasses us all, and besides, no one else has volunteered for it.

mel

Vote Yes

Post by mel »

Sounds good to me :)

Mart

The right craft

Post by Mart »

After reading such ackolades and being inundated with so many details about various folders, how does one arrive at the boat of choice? Say for instance you like to get out occasionally, your wife may come along but wants to ride with you, lakes and gentle streams but have to be prepared for big chops and rough water. You want a boat to take with you to the Caribbean, to paddle around islands and transverse open channels. The everglades would be a great trip too and you want to go camp while kayaking for a week. Oh, I forgot to mention that you aren't rich and your getting older so you don't want to lug anything to heavy (<35lbs).

Any suggestions?

Kapitän von Klepper

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

Definitely check out Complete Folding Kayaker if you haven't already. You can find it's link http://www.amazon.com on the opening page of this website. Used copies can be had from $5 and it's worth its weight in gold. Not only can it give you a short overview of what's available, but a ton of info to keep you paddling pleasurably and safely for a long time. By purchasing through this site, you help support it.

A further note on Faltboote: When one reckons that folding boats are pound for pound the most sea worthy craft, why would anyone want anything else? Possible exceptions of course of specialized needs such as the Tsunami Rangers or class III+ white water! :wink: -but then sea worthyness isn't the prime objective, impact resistance is!
Last edited by Kapitän von Klepper on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krudave
Site Admin

Post by krudave »

Mart, casting aside all the personal allegiances you have seen here ... and they are legion!!! You need a very light weight boat, which is in conflict with durability. I suspect there is nothing on the market that fits your needs. Closest might be a Feathercraft Klondike, although Gregn will tell you it is a bear to set up.

Another choice to consider might be a pair of Folbot's Kiowah's, although they might be a bit heavy.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Kapitän von Klepper

Mart, just noticed http://www.ebay.com, item # 7205630110 is a vintage Folbot currently going for $76.00 w/ 4.5 hrs. left. It looks like it's in rough condition (all the pieces seem to be there) and will be somewhat (lots) heavier than your spec and is for local P.U. only. If you're handy and have a shop, this could be a refurbisher or serve as a pattern -you could sell the vintage boat for what you have in it when you're done. I've never tried this particular boat, but I built a direct descendant Folbot kit and it was a decent boat.

Disregard, it's now sold for $122.50.
Last edited by Kapitän von Klepper on Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gregn

Post by gregn »

Closest might be a Feathercraft Klondike, although Gregn will tell you it is a bear to set up.
Dave, actually it is not all that bad. First time shouldn't count (it took me a few hours to unpack boxes, go through everything, lubricate,and assemble while reading insructions). I got stuck once recently and couldn't figure out what the problem was. The next day all went smoothly.

By now I found it a rather pleasant experience to assemble my Klondike, and install all those seats, decks, socks, and skirts.

Alm

Re: The right craft

Post by Alm »

I forgot to mention one more suggestion, answering this same posting in another thread - try limiting number of identical postings. Limiting the number of criteria would be nice too, otherwise there is nothing on the market, Dave is right.

Kapitän von Klepper

Just reinforcing what other's have mentioned; it's going to be very difficult to fill the specs you're looking for. Searching used items is going to be your best bet price wise, but for most newer lighter boats that are worth having second hand, the sellers know what they have. These boats, if they are well taken care of can actually fetch more than their original purchase price 10 years earlier.

AE2021

Post by AE2021 »

AE2021's stylish, affortible, and portible.

Return to “What boat for me?”