Klepper Alu-Lite (Sprint 400) vs. Atlatl or Atlyak

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Sir Adrian Fish

Klepper Alu-Lite (Sprint 400) vs. Atlatl or Atlyak

Post by Sir Adrian Fish »

Hi there an hello,

I am new on the board and need some help and inspiration on choosing a folding kayak.

After spending some time on research on different internet boards and websites from distributers and folding kayak producers, I have now got three kayaks in nearer choise.

Klepper Alu-Lite (Sprint 400) - now on special sale in cause of production ending

Atlatl

Atlyak - very hard to find any information on.

All kayaks are nearly in the same price range.

I am very interessted in your opinion about the three named kayaks and also on the choise you would make.

nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

First of all, welcome!

As far as I know the Atlatl and Atlyak are the same thing - one is just the US distributor's site. It looks like a nice boat, but as you say, there's very little independent information on it out there.

I own an Alu-lite, though I don't paddle it much. I gave my thoughts on it in this thread a while back. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

You don't say what your experience level is, or your intended use?

Nohoval

Sir Adrian Fish

Post by Sir Adrian Fish »

Atlatl & Atlylak are two different boats, alltough only differing slightly in Size and weight.

From the experience level I would call myself an absolute beginner. Just a couple of weeks ago I started of with a Pouch RZ 85/3, which is avery nice boat to handle in water, but hell to fit up on ones own. Especially counting the time to fix and fit it up.

Does anyone know, if there have been any modifications made on the construction of the Alu-Lite in the last couple of years?

Christov_Tenn

Atlatl & Atlyak

Post by Christov_Tenn »

I recall Ralph Hoehn of http://www.pouchboats.com at one time had something to do with the Atlatl boats. Perhaps an email to him would elicit a reply containing some of the information you wanted.

Good luck,

Chris

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Ralph and I had some conversations about the boat back some time ago. He was involved in the design and refinement, but had no financial involvement, and has had nothing to do with the boat since. The maker decided not to incorporate some of Ralph's concerns, I recall.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

mje wrote:Ralph...He was involved in the design and refinement, but had no financial involvement, and has had nothing to do with the boat since. The maker decided not to incorporate some of Ralph's concerns, I recall.
Didn't mean to suggest otherwise, just that he'd probably be a good source of information. Chris

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Oh, nothing like that implied at all. Just adding some clarification.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Return to “What boat for me?”