Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:47 am 
forum fanatic

Hi everyone,

I'm intending to build my first folder, probably an Aleutian type for expedition use. The Aleutian kayak on page 17 from David Zimmerly's book "Qayaq - kayaks from Alaska and Siberia" looks very nice. This is my first time attempting to build kayak from plans, and I don't understand how to interpret the offsets to "stations" - in other words, the offsets seem somewhat random (every 50cm) and not where the main stations are. Especially important is that the offsets seem not to be in sync with the cockpit. Any advice?

Or - Does anyone have good plans and is willing to share?/Where can I find good plans?

Other possibilities that seem reasonable to me are from the Yostwerks site - the Sea Tour EXP (17) and the Nikumi (17). Does anyone have experience with either?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 am 
forum fanatic

You could get a copy of "The Aleutian Kayak" book by Wolfgang Brinck. He gives a fairly decent breakdown on building a Biadarka. I built one last year and learned a lesson on forming the ribs. Always flatten the ribs at the in the middle of the kayak or the boat will roll on a dime.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:58 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

You might find clark craft interesting. They have many plans for skin on frame kayaks and if I remember correct two folders. But these may not be the type of kayak you want as they are something like the klepper, folbot kayaks, but worth a look.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:43 pm 
forum fanatic

Thank you Bucko. Just looked at the book you suggested - looks like I'd like it and I'll try to get it. It will probably get here only in time for my next kayak though... But that can be ok too. In saying to flatten the ribs in the middle, does that mean changing the offsets? I'm not sure I'm brave enough yet, but once I see the kayak is too tipsy, I'd definitely give it a try.

Thank you John. Looked at the site. Maybe it's because I'm a newbie it seems they don't have enough details to help decide if\which kayak one may want from there.

Found on a site by Christine DeMerchant a nice looking kayak (I think) with plans by Renzo Beltrame. Does anyone by any chance have experience with that kayak?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 pm 
forum fanatic

I am glad the book helped. I have built 2 biadarka's in my days. The last one I finished last year and as I was steam bending the rib material, I for what-ever-reason rounded each of the ribs instead of rounding at the edges and flattening on the bottom. Now as I paddle if I lean ever so slightly to one side then the boat flips. Not good. I have to redue all the ribs sometime. Right now I am enjoying my Pakboat canoe and swift kayak too much.

Take care

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:17 am 
forum fanatic

Thank you Bucko. I looked at the book on the internet, not the actual book, just what it says about the book, reviews, etc., and decided it would probably be very helpful. Thanks for the suggestion. Trouble is I don't live in the States and shipping here through ebay\amazon is very expensive (maybe 3X the price of the book). There's a site based in Britain (I think) that ships for free, but unfortunately they don't have the book at the moment.

Maybe someone has ideas on how to get a book overseas (specifically the Aleutian Kayak by Wolfgang Brink this time) without paying an arm and a leg for it?...

Keep having fun with your Pakboats Bucko, and if one day you'll feel like working on a project, sounds like you have a nice one waiting for you :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 am 
forum fanatic

A question about the Aleutian kayak book by Wolfgang Brinck: does it have more than one set of offsets to chose from? How is the book "Baidarka, the kayak" by George Dyson?

Another question, which maybe I should post separately. The Yostwerks site is great (really amazing) and it would be really easy to just make a boat off of there, but I'm not sure any of the boats there are right for me now (seems there's no real Aleutian or expedition type kayak on the site. The Tour EXP looks nice, but wider than I'd like [I think], and a review I read about the Nikumi wasn't so enthusiastic - though it may be wrong). So I'm looking for other offsets\plans:

I'd like the kayak for expedition use (as mentioned), but would also like to use it for day fun at the beach. I'm too skinny (~5'10'', 135lbs) - would that be a contraindication for unloaded use of an Aleutian type for me? If so, any suggestions?

So far (before I get another book) I have the offsets for an Aleutian from David Zimmerly's book (p.17), and offsets by Ranzo Beltrame, also an "original" Aleutian. Anyone familiar with those?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 am 
forum fanatic

It only has one offset. There are no blue prints but the author describes the process in each chapter. He explains how to measure yourself for the back brace, knee brace and foot brace and all other measurements. I would have like to have more pictures showing each stage but I figured it out good enough.

I am 5'11'' but weight in a 250 so I do not have an issue hauling in around. The finished kayak weighs in at less than 40 pounds, I believe that is less than 18 kilograms. So it should not be too much for you to load and unload.

I believe the offsets that you have from David Zimmerly's book are very simular to Wolfgang Brinck. I tried to attach a picture of the Biadarka that I built but it is biggers than the allowable kilobits.

Good Luch

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:24 am 
forum fanatic

Thank you Bucko. If the offsets are basically the same, the one thing that would be great to read from the book is how to fit it to your own body dimensions. Guess I'll post a separate question along those lines. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:24 pm 
forum fanatic

Btw, besides the braces, what other measurements are there to fit a boat to yourself?

Bucko - it would be great to see the boat you made. Maybe there's a way of decreasing the file size?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:39 am 
forum fanatic

The custom measurements are just for the braces. The rest is standard unless you want to modify it. I am 250 lbs and I wear a size 13 shoe so I made the inside deeper which gave me the room to for my feet and the extra volume for my weight.

I have tried to compress the photo but it is still too large. If you PM me I can send photos over the email.