Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:00 am 
faltbootemeister

I have a Feathercraft K-1 from the 80's. That was the original K-1 with the built in spray skirt. According to my data the hull is Urethane/nylon laminate. With age and patching the hull is rather ugly on the bottom. Can that laminate be painted or dyed? Deck can be dyed it's just nylon but the bottom is waterproof so I expect painting is the only option. Anyone try it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't. You could use Hypalon coating, which NRS carries in various colors, but it would just add weight, and that part is invisible when you're paddling, right?

I believe the hull is a Hypalon/polyester laminate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

Attachment:
IMG_20170610_190922598_HDR.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_20170609_215314593.jpg
I took the plunge. I bought a product "Rit" from Hobby Lobby. It is a synthetic fabric dye. It is not a paint. You mix about 4 to 1 in water. Keep it as hot as you can. Wet the hull, have the dye on a small hot plate near boiling, out in the sun. Brush it on. the red went well on the deck. some drip-age was absorbed by the black hull. I went back and got black dye. Painted the hull and spray skirt. Dries quick. I put two coats on each. It looks great. It is obviously not new but the faded red is gone. The faded black is gone. I was not surprised the deck was absorbent. I was surprised the lower hull was so absorbent.
According to the old instructions with the boat the hull is urethane/nylon laminate fabric. Deck is Cordura Nylon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:57 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Tip for setting the dye: make a strong solution of salt water and saturate the dyed areas with it. Leave it to dry. It may leave a whitish residue but you can then hose that off. Salt helps to set Rit dye (I used to use Rit a lot back in the day to color fabrics, clothing and slipcovers.)

For a recoat of the hull, you can buy the two-part urethane that is used for skin-on-frame kayak skins from several vendors. http://shop.skinboats.com/2-Part-Uretha ... -goop1.htm

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:11 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thank you. I'm just pleased to restore a little color to a faded hull. I'll try that salt on another boat.