Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Pouch.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:38 pm 
recent arrival

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and new to kayaks in general but need some advice, so hopefully you might be able to help.

I am contacting you from England. About 30 years ago I was given a Pouch, a folding kayak, by a friend, a BA pilot who had bought it abroad some time before but never used it. I had always thought it was a Folbot but can see no label saying so. It has "Pouch" and "Made in GDR", so precedes the Berlin Wall coming down. It is a double and has accessories like rudder, controlled by the aft paddler's feet, a mast, (but no sail), alloy lee-boards, paddles and seats with tartan padded backrests. I have photos and it is in good condition except for a small mouse hole in one of the canvas carrybags. There is no damage to the hull. I have used it once or twice and washed and dried it carefully both times before storing.

My question is about its value. I need to clear space in the garage and it is wasted lying there. I would like to put it on eBay but have no clue as to its value. Can anyone help? With many thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Vintage Pouch.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:04 am 
forum fanatic

Regarding value, try doing a search at ebay.de for faltboote for a de-facto price guide to similar tandems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Whereabouts in England are you? Value probably largely depends on what condition the skin is in. (I forget whether a Pouch of that age will be rubber or hypalon or pvc skin, but some of those materials, notably the rubber, can deteriorate with age, even though they are otherwise undamaged.)
Christov's advice on checking sales prices on ebay.de is sound. There isn't much trade in folding kayaks in UK by comparison so harder to get an idea of what proper value is.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 am 
forum fanatic

Looks like the original manufacturer is interested in buying up used folding kayaks, as well. Here's a link to their page: http://www.poucher-faltboot.de/en/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 pm 
recent arrival

Thank you very much, that's very useful. I found none for sale on the UK Ebay and plenty on the .de one. I have contacted the Pouch website you suggested, Christov10 and await their reply. idc, I'm on S coast of England, lots of kayaks and watersprots but no Pouches! It is in 'nearly new' condition but with a bit of mouse damage on one of the canvas bags. The hull and equipment look unused.