Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:32 pm 
paddler

Sadly my 1995 K-Light frame skin and most of the frame was lost by a mover, and then not covered by the company. I got a replacement skin using FC's Sealskin technology which welds urethane fabric to the urethane hull. I haven't replaced the missing frame parts (everything except for the center of the frame and the extension tubes), and haven't had any luck finding someone with a K-Light frame to sell. So I either need to sell the new skin or buy a frame if I find one. Does anyone have an estimate of the cost of a new K-Light skin, or what I might have to pay for a used frame? Even a frame with some damage would be acceptable, as long as it could be assembled.

Thanks.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:29 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

There is a complete K-Light on Ebay (a 2007) for $1000 (buy now price plus $17.15 shipping). That's really a decent deal for a boat that looks like it is in quite good shape. If you like the K-Light that is probably as good a deal as you will find. I don't believe the changed the frame during that period of time ('95 to '07), only the skin. If you bought that one you would have a spare skin which would give you many years of use of the boat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Feathercraft-K- ... Sw9ENZpabS

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 am 

The eBay listing shows what appears to be a nearly new fully assembled k-light in the first photo. The second photo shows a rumpled skin with a faded blue deck and a hodge-podge of parts casually dumped on the deck. And $17 to ship the boat from CA? I don't like the looks of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 am 
faltbootemeister

I suspect that, as often happens, the seller of this folder didn't want to take the trouble of assembling it before selling. So he posted an older picture of the boat assembled (or one like it) and a newer picture of the boat unassembled, in parts. I don't see anything nefarious, as long as he's honest about its condition. From the looks of it I assume it's a used boat in decent shape. For the right price it could be a good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:18 pm 

I prefer to see photos of the boat disassembled so I can see that the longerons are not corroded together. I bought a used FC K-1 all set up many years ago when I was quite naive. Found out that there were two bonded joints that made it impossible to break down completely -- had been used in salt water and stored set up. Of course, the best is to see BOTH set up and broken down, but, as noted previously, not everybody wants to or is able to set up folders they are selling.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15