Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have, multiple times, paddled my Folbot Greenland II over 10 miles at an average speed of 3mph with moderate effort - what I call my leisurely cadence.
That's running virtually empty so wetted surface is minimized.
Fully loaded I doubt I could sustain much over 2mph.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 pm 
recent arrival

jaygee wrote:
Gentlemen, thank you for your very informative comments - that is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. This is a great forum!

I guess I will have to get serious about looking for a longer boat, although I really hate to give up the comfort and convenience of my little Airframe.

My short list at this point consists of the Advanced Elements Ultra light, basically the same boat as mine, but 13' long (but I'm not convinced I would get a siginficant inrease in speed with this boat), the Puffin Swift at 14', or the Puffin II, also at 14'. I think the Swift would definitely be the faster of the two Puffins, correct? I would also consider one of the FCs, but it would have to be a used one at a price point of the Puffins.

What else would warrant consideration?

Since I'm not a "cold weather paddler", paddling season for me doesn't start again until about next Apr/May, so I have lots of time to find something.

Again, thank you for your very helpful comments.

I'm new to kayaking and have just got a used Feathercraft Aironaut and I think it would be cool to see how fast I'm going.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 am 
recent arrival

jaygee wrote:
Gentlemen, thank you for your very informative comments - that is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. This is a great forum!

I guess I will have to get serious about looking for a longer boat, although I really hate to give up the comfort and convenience of my little Airframe.

My short list at this point consists of the Advanced Elements Ultra light, basically the same boat as mine, but 13' long (but I'm not convinced I would get a siginficant inrease in speed with this boat), the Puffin Swift at 14', or the Puffin II, also at 14'. I think the Swift would definitely be the faster of the two Puffins, correct? I would also consider one of the FCs, but it would have to be a used one at a price point of the Puffins.

What else would warrant consideration?

Since I'm not a "cold weather paddler", paddling season for me doesn't start again until about next Apr/May, so I have lots of time to find something.

Again, thank you for your very helpful comments.

How are you guys tracking your speed?
I'm new to kayaking and have just got a used Feathercraft Aironaut
and I think it would be cool to see how fast I'm going.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Most folks seem to use GPS to track their point to point positions and then calculate based on time. Since I mostly paddle rivers that are fairly straight, I just keep track of my launch and takeout times (minus lunch stop and other stops) and divide that into the known mileages from point to point.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 pm 
faltbootemeister

I gauged over 6 MPH in a Nautiraid Greenlander, the early one with 19 inch beam. I only went a few miles but was surprised at the speed since I didn't really exert myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:28 am 

treewater wrote:
I gauged over 6 MPH in a Nautiraid Greenlander, the early one with 19 inch beam. I only went a few miles but was surprised at the speed since I didn't really exert myself.

A boat with such a small beam is a rocket for a kayak. Touring kayaks typically have about a 21-24" beam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 pm 

As I lurch my way through the years, my priorities for what I desire in a kayak have evolved. Physical comfort and light weight now compete for first and second place. Responsiveness (fun to paddle) comes in at number three and the ability to hold an easy 3 knots in neutral conditions is number 4. A boat's sea keeping abilities is now relatively unimportant as I do what I can to avoid "challenging" conditions. Over the years, I've paddled long, narrow sea kayaks and rowed shells with sliding seats and 9 1/2 foot sculls. Making the shells go fast was fun, paddling the long kayaks hard enough to make them go fast was just plain hard work. No más.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 am 

Jake wrote:
As I lurch my way through the years, my priorities for what I desire in a kayak have evolved. Physical comfort and light weight now compete for first and second place. Responsiveness (fun to paddle) comes in at number three and the ability to hold an easy 3 knots in neutral conditions is number 4. A boat's sea keeping abilities is now relatively unimportant as I do what I can to avoid "challenging" conditions. Over the years, I've paddled long, narrow sea kayaks and rowed shells with sliding seats and 9 1/2 foot sculls. Making the shells go fast was fun, paddling the long kayaks hard enough to make them go fast was just plain hard work. No más.

Exactly. I'm almost 47; not old, but not young either, and definitely getting older.

For me kayaking is primarily for recreation and exercise and I avoid going over if at all possible. This was even somewhat the case when I was younger as I was never into racing. While I want an efficient kayak I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for comfort and stability. For me a touring kayak should offer reasonable balance of all 3 characteristics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm 
paddler

Due to my terrible sense of direction and fear of getting lost, I have used a GPS on my kayak for many years. Currently I use a Garmin GPSMAP 78SC. It has marine charts installed. A nice benefit is that it also gives a constant speed readout, which helps to judge water conditions and also get immediate feedback on stroke form. I also have a Garmin VivoactiveHR watch, which tracks various activities and heart rate also. There is a paddling app which also will give a constant readout of your speed and allow you to upload the route to your smartphone.
I get about the same speed in my TRAK seeker 16 skin-on-frame and my QCC 400 carbon/kevlar (15'waterline). A leisurely cruising pace is 3.5mph. With a bit more attention to form, I can easily sustain 4mph. Best ever speed was going up the East River on the Manhattan Circumnavigation with a nice current--I hit 9.2mph on the GPS.