Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm 
recent arrival

Hi All, What do you folks recommend for warmth, wet or dry suit? Or is there a rule of thumb for you where you switch from one to another? Here in Arizona, the water in the rivers below a dam is often 45 degrees F or so pretty much year round. The air temperature can vary greatly with the season from freezing to 100+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:07 pm 
faltbootemeister

My paddling is generally flat water, though I do sail a canoe and other open boats in winter. I only wear a wetsuit when I can do so comfortably. I understand that it is more safety conscious to dress for the water temp, but I won't go out if it means overheating. A compromise is a short suit, or sleeveless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I was a reluctant adopter of dry suit technology. Safety aside, I don't mind being cold and I HATE to be too warm. So I avoided a full dry suit for the longest time. What a mistake! Modern goretex suits are, in my experience, very comfortable...breathable and warm in air temps down to freezing and not too hot for me even with the sun shining and upwards of 75F air temp. And the safety margin my suit provides in the event of an unplanned swim is remarkable/comfortable in water temps as low as I ever encounter. There are lots of good suits out there, I use a Kokatat Meridian, but there are a few choices for goretex suits and my only experience is with Kokatat. Hope that helps,
g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:29 am 
faltbootemeister

Good information Gbell, thanks for the review.