Stinky Kayak

Questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

emiliooooooo
paddler

Stinky Kayak

Post by emiliooooooo »

Recently bought an older 90s K2 Feathercraft, it was kept in storage for a long time and is in overall good condition, but boy does it smell! It doesn't seem to be suffering from any mold or mildew. The seats, skin, sea socks and spray skirts all have the smell. I plan on applying seam sealer to these items, but first want to clean them up.

Any one know of any way to clean/wash them and get rid of the smell?? Is it safe to wipe them down with Clorox (no bleach) disinfectant wipes? Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

emiliooooooo
paddler

Re: Stinky Kayak

Post by emiliooooooo »

Forgot to mention the materials used:

Deck: Cordura Nylon
Hull: Hypalon
Spray Skirt, Sea Socks, Seats: Single Shell Nylon

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

If you have ruled out mold and mildew I would NOT use something harsh like chlorine. Anything used for water activities are prone to get bacteria, the source of the stink. If I leave wet sandals or neoprene booties in my car overnight that familiar stench will hit me the next morning.
I would try a product meant specifically for this problem. Two names are Revivex Odor Eliminator and Sink the Stink. They destroy bacteria without harsh chemicals. You can find them at Northwest River Supplies or probably any business specializing in water sports.

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

A simple first effort would be soapy water followed by sunshine and dry air.

emiliooooooo
paddler

Post by emiliooooooo »

The Revivex worked great and did the job. Thanks!

Sagebrush
forum fan

Post by Sagebrush »

Late to the party... If the smell is similar to stinky cheese/socks, you might have urethane breaking down in your nylon. Other fabrics probably absorbed the odors. I’ve had this happen with stored tents over time. If you need to reseal, there are a number of threads, google is your friend.

Thanks to Jerimiah for the reference to Revivex. I still have one tent that needs attention.

Return to “General folding kayak questions”