Shipping from the U.K.

Questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Roady
forum fanatic

Shipping from the U.K.

Post by Roady »

Hi Everyone, I have recently bought a Wayland Double on eBay in Gloucester in the U.K. I am trying to get it shipped to myself in New Zealand but it's turning into a real bear. The first shipper we tried was Seven Seas Worldwide which was all good, fine and dandy until the deposit of 200 pounds was paid and then they decided they couldn't do it. The seller tells me that they won't refund the deposit. I am looking into other options. One is to get it ship packed and delivered to Southampton where it would ship to NZ. A shipping company in NZ is working on an English shipping contact for that one. Another option is flying it (about 700 pounds) but waiting to hear back on that one. It is hard to believe this is all so hard. If anyone has been down this gloomy, potholed, dangerous road before and has some recommendations I would be grateful to hear them! Thanks in advance, Roady
Last edited by Roady on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Shipping from the U.K.

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

If I was in your shoes I would try posting your problem on the Song of the Paddle forums, which have many more members in the UK than are on here. My thoughts are that if you could find someone there who was flying to NZ from the UK sometime in the near future you could offer to pay them a fee for bringing the packed boat with them as checked baggage. I just delivered a canoe from my home town to a fellow 3 states away myself after learning (through another paddling forum) of his difficulty in getting it delivered. I had room in my camper for it and happened to be going to visit cousins who live 40 minutes south of him. He paid me $50 (which covered half my round trip petrol cost) so it was a good deal for both of us.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Roady
forum fanatic

Post by Roady »

Hi Kerry, Thanks for that idea. Yeah, something like that would be perfect. I'll join that forum and post the same message. Living down the bottom of the world has both advantages and disadvantages. Getting stuff here is often a struggle. Thanks, Roady

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

You tried UPS or other package carriers? I've had two folding boats shipped UK to US, one airfreight (American Airlines?) and the other UPS. The airfreight one I had to drive to NYC to pick up, UPS came right to my house.

Roady
forum fanatic

Post by Roady »

Hi John, I've got a feeling that I may have found them too expensive at the time but I'll check them again. How was the one you received packed? Was it anything special? The sea shipping companies all want it in a shipping crate but I don't know what the air freight requirements are. They may be less stringent. Thanks, Roady

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

One was a Kayacat, so it fit in a big box, UPS.
The other was a 10' Seahopper plywood folding dinghy. They boxed it, strapped it and maybe put in on a pallet. The box was torn by a forklift, but the boat was only scratched. That one came airfreight.

Roady
forum fanatic

Post by Roady »

Thanks John. The seller is trying another shipper (that will do the packing) today. Fingers crossed.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

In regards to them not refunding you the deposit after they said they could not do it, I think that a legal action might be in order. Hard to do from over there, but at least you can look up on the internet the proper government offices that might become involved in a theft like this. (saying that, but I have not seen the original agreement). I had a problem way back in the UK with a vendor that sold me a defective product and just the mention of the correct legal agency to them changed their mind real quick.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Roady
forum fanatic

Post by Roady »

Hi Yakadoodle, Thanks for your advice. Still trying to get the kayak sent but looking more promising now. It is actually packed in two boxes awaiting shipment. Once it is on its way I'll try and recover the 200 pounds from the other shipper. As you say, I'm sure the right authorities in England might help there. It seems like standard corporate tactics using foreign call centres etc. to stop you getting anywhere with a complaint or refund. Roady

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

The local government has the equivalent of the Better Business Bureau that could help.

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/573971 ... ureau.html
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Roady
forum fanatic

Post by Roady »

Kayak has arrived safely. See Wayland board for update.

Return to “General folding kayak questions”