Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Klepper Rigid Kayak??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:13 pm 
HI there- New to the forum, greetings to you all. I have an opportunity to trade for a rigid Klepper Tramp S kayak. I have not seen it physically but have been told it is approx. 16 feet long and fiberglass, with a built in rudder. I have seen pictures and it looks to be in decent shape, though stored outside I think. Can anyone tell me more about? I cannot find any info online about Kleppers rigid kayaks, though on craigslist someone is selling a 12 foot fiberglass Klepper for $150. What are the potential problems with a fiberglass kayak that may be 30 years old? Thanks in advance .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 pm 
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Image

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of or seen a rigid Klepper kayak, so I can't help you with that. But, I can tell you that I'd look very hard at a 30 year old fiberglass kayak before buying one. Even kept and used under the best of conditions, the weather and the water can take its toll on fiberglass over time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:35 pm 
Quote:
What are the potential problems with a fiberglass kayak that may be 30 years old?

Wear of the bottom (you'll see it if look against the light). Structural damage anywhere (cracks), improperly fixed or not fixed at all (merely masked with a gel coat). Corroded metal fittings, worn rudder cable. Leaking or missing bulkheads (some old and recreational models don't have bulkheads at all). Horrible seat (I think only last 12-15 years some fiberglass kayaks have better seats).

I wouldn't buy a 30-years old fiberglass kayak for more than $200 and even then I would give it a very thorough inspection.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:42 pm 
Alm wrote:
...I wouldn't buy a 30-years old fiberglass kayak for more than $200 and even then I would give it a very thorough inspection.

I totally agree, and I was about to add to my post that, personally, I wouldn't buy one based on just the photograph. Cracks, blisters, etc., depending on where they are, can be difficult or impossible to see in a picture; and then there's always the Photoshop possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 am 
Quote:
I was about to add to my post that, personally, I wouldn't buy one based on just the photograph

Absolutely. I meant inspection in person, naturally. With a fiberglass kayak wear of the hull is even less apparent on the photos than it is with folders. Folder skin can not be painted, and scuff marks can be seen (if photos were not edited to mask this). On a fiberglass he can cover scratches with gel coat (some scratches can be really fixed this way, but other damages are just masked and some of them may need professional repairs for $300 or more), or he may give it a buffing to make it look nice and shiny. Some damages and wear the owner may be unaware of (happened to me when I was selling my old fiberglass Tyee - buyers discovered them and showed me).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:31 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

In the 1960s/1970s klepper made fiberglass kayaks, in 1978 the single seat klepper "tramp s" cost 450 US it was 14ft long X 25in wide, the "KAMERAD TS" was a two seater with a large cockpit it cost 599 US and was 16ft long X 31in wide, the rudder was extra.One of my early brochures shows 9 models in fiberglass although there could have been more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:47 am 
Site Admin

I've seen one of these "Tramps" up close. My son paddled it for a few days and suffered. It is a dog. If you only want it for paddling lakes on nice days and do not plan to go for distance, and only spend fifty bucks, I'd say go for it.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:34 pm 
This was interesting. I never knew that Klepper had made a fiberglass boat in addition to their folding boats. I wanted to see what they looked like, so I did a Google and here's a couple that came up as of this date:

Fiberglass Klepper “For Sale” Number 1

Fiberglass Klepper “For Sale” Number 2

krudave wrote:
...If you only want it for paddling lakes on nice days and do not plan to go for distance, and only spend fifty bucks, I'd say go for it.

They were a lot more than 50 bucks, even though that may be all they're worth. You'd know a lot more about that than I do. As I said above, I didn't even know that they existed. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:19 pm 
krudave wrote:
I've seen one of these "Tramps" up close. My son paddled it for a few days and suffered. It is a dog.

That's what I suspected (usually the case with very old fiberglass kayaks) - dated, inefficient design. Didn't want to say it since never saw this particular model.
Wide beam, dull bow. On one of the photos I see non-adjustable seat, and both seats look poor to me. Built-in rudder has same pedal post as in foldable Klepper - in the center, inconvenient to load the gear fore of the pedals. The rudder blade itself is ancient "barn door" shape, nobody is using these blades on hardshells in the last 15-17 years. No hatches - which affects both camping comfort and safety (bulkheads are moved closer to bow and stern ends). No deck rigging.

One guy is asking $150, another one - $850. I don't know if it's worth something for collectors, but after looking at the photos I agree with Dave - as a vessel, it's not worth much - may be $100, and only for short and easy lake/river trips. For practical use there are 8-12 years old fiberglass kayaks on the market from $600 or so, they are better made (but condition should be checked, of course).