Any good ways to use an IK as a sleeping pad backpacking?

Questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Davictor685

Any good ways to use an IK as a sleeping pad backpacking?

Post by Davictor685 »

I was thinking of turning my sea eagle 370 upside down and sleeping on the bottom while covered up with a bivy sack. I'd rather have a tent tho. Are there any free standing tents that would sit nicely on the bottom of an inflatable kayak? It'd be a great way to make your IK double as a high quality air mattress. Especially if you are really low on space, like for backpackers using packrafts, or motorcycle riders.

mje
Site Admin

Re: Any good ways to use an IK as a sleeping pad backpacking

Post by mje »

I think a simple tarp tent would be cheap and functional. If the seat or seats are removable, I’d sleep in the boat rather than on the bottom, as the bottom fabric is probably tougher and better suited for laying on the ground.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

siravingmon
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Any good ways to use an IK as a sleeping pad backpacking

Post by siravingmon »

You could just use a tarp or the fly from a lightweight tent (one of those where the poles attach to the fly and not the inner tent). That way, withe kayak the right way up, the rain wouldn't run into the boat, and if you are in insect infested areas, you could have the innner insect screen tent inside the kayak
Simon

Feathercraft Wisper, Firstlight 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, KXone Airrow 17, Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416, Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI
AE Air Fusion Evo wanted, Incept k40 for sale

Return to “General folding kayak questions”