The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYC & Long Island
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:14 am 
forum fanatic

Attachment:
alleypond_640.jpg

I certainly wouldn't say that New York City is the most beautiful place to paddle, especially having seen the many wonderful places that other forum members have been to. However, the more I paddle around this city where I've virtually spent my entire life in, the more surprises I've found. There are simply many 'nooks and crannies' among the city's waterways that make you forget that you're in a large metropolitan center.

If there's other members of the forum that either live, have lived, or have paddled in the NYC/Long Island area, I'd love to hear what places in the area you've enjoyed paddling.

(Photo: Alley Creek, Queens)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: NYC & Long Island
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:21 pm 
I'm new to paddling (except for childhood adventures with my father and grandfather, on Torch Lake in northern Michigan, in a skin-on-frame kayak that my father had built decades ago), and I'm just assembling my equipment and plan to start this summer. And first on my list of places to try is Piermont, on the Hudson River, just over the Tappan Zee Bridge. There is a wildlife estuary there, which looks a lot like your picture, and a public launch area. I'd love to hear of other places in the NYC area. I do get out to the East end of Long Island, particularly Montauk, occasionally, too, and always wondered where people kayak out there.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:20 pm 
forum fanatic

I do some paddling on Long Island. Much of the marine environments are about the same –– mostly tidal estuaries. Some, like the Nissequogue and Carmans rivers, are more pristine and untouched, others are more developed. On the south shore, you have the Great South Bay, which could be a pretty substantial open crossing depending on your location. Smith Point on the east end of Fire Island is a nice destination to paddle. It reminds me of Robert Moses Beach but with virtually no people.

This past weekend, I was on the Connetquot River. It's mostly developed with private homes and boats, but there is a nice arboretum that you can paddle along. There's also a canal that, apparently, is a remnant from the old Vanderbilt estate in Oakdale. The mansion has been converted into a building for Dowling College.

One drawback about Long Island is that you can rarely find a spot where you feel like you've gotten away from everybody; the island is very densely populated. Even seemingly secluded areas often have other paddlers or boaters around. Once in a while, though, you do find a spot like that. However, I would never want to tell people where they are!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 pm 
You have got to try the Bronx river. Put in at shoelace park. It's a nice run through the Bronx botanic gardens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:08 pm 
I am very close to Alley Pond Creek entering from the Sound. Hope to be there in the next few days. I heard it was beautiful, and I love the photo.