Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Klepper Slalom 59
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:53 pm 
I have kept my Slalom 59 in dry warm storage for the last 40 years and have now decided that I may as well sell it as I suspect, sadly, I will probably never paddle again. So, what's it worth? I can supply any photos needed. I put it together this afternoon after all that time and I was thrilled to see its condition. Apart from normal scuffing on the hull canvas, the only problems I could see were:

1) Part of the stern plate lamination had come unglued - easily fixed with some waterproof glue and a clamp

2) The rivets on one side of a small capping plate on the stern have deteriated

3) The capping rubber moulding on the stern has come unglued for about 150mm on both sides

email me if you want me to send photos

As I have just found this site, I trust I am OK trying to sell my boat through it. If not, I apologise and would appreciate guidance as to the best place to advertise it.

On another topic, the reason the deck blades are missing is that someone borrowed the boat just before I laid it up and left them on the banks of the Thames at Maidenhead. On returning the boat, all I got was a "Sorry - I lost your paddles" and no offer to replace them. They have a very stylised KH monogram on them so if anyone knows of such a pair of blades and consience kicks in after all this time, I would love to be able to marry them to the boat again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:37 pm 
Hey Keith,

There's a section at the bottom of the forum page for classifieds. Are you and the Klepper in the U.K.?

Chris

Post subject: Slalom 59
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:08 pm 
Hi Chris,

I am in the Chilterns about 5 miles north of High Wycombe in the UK

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:56 pm 
I used to think that natural rubber layer on pre-Hypalon hulls deteriorates after 40-45 years even when not being used, - becoming brittle. There was a recent report, though, of 1960-something Klepper with incredibly well preserved hull, according to the photos.

Post subject: Re: Slalom 59
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:52 pm 
KeithH wrote:
I am in the Chilterns about 5 miles north of High Wycombe in the UK
Hi Keith,

that's a bit far afield for me. I live about halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga in a part of the world far less interesting than the environs of High Wycombe.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:47 am 
Foreign fields (rivers?) always sound more interesting, Chris. And no offence to High Wycombe, or Keith, but this is probably debatable. Nashville and Chattanooga (Chu Chu Chu...) sound glamorous places to many of us living on this side of the Atlantic. Between Birmingham and Carlisle (UK) does not sound the same. :)

Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:16 am 
Yes, of course you're right about foreign rivers, lakes, and sights seeming more interesting than those close to home.

Chattanooga's a physically attractive small city, whereas I've always thought of Nashville as the ugliest city in the South (although that may be a competitive designation - I haven't been to every Southern city to critique them - that might make a good coffee-table book, but it wouldn't sell very well around here). I think the Little General, made famous by Buster Keaton in his Civil War comedy epic, "The General," is on display somewhere in Chattanooga. Watching that film, to judge by the outdoor scenery, it appears to have been filmed in country resembling North Georgia and Southern Middle Tennessee. I once attended a minor-league baseball game at a very old stadium in Chattanooga and saw there a barber's "shop" set up with chair facing the diamond, and fellow getting his hair cut as he watched the game. Real life like something from a film.

Still, the presence of a Klepper Slalom in the vicinity of High Wycombe bespeaks the possiblity interesting places to paddle nearby.

Chris

Post subject: Slalom 59
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:46 am 
Chatanooga (Is that how you spell it? Isn't there a song that goes something like .....Pardon me pal, is that the cat who chewed your new shoes!!

Anyway, for those that might be interested, I have put a page of photos at
http:/homepages.tesco.net/keithhowell/klepper.htm

The skin is still nice and pliable and, if I could get in and out of it now, I would happily take it onto the Thames which is the only water around here.

Back to the original question - what's it worth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:24 pm 
Quote:
Something something cat shouldn't've been,
Something something unfortunate on Track 29,
Can you afford to board,
Something cat and a Shi-Tzu"
Great song. Glenn Miller Army Air-Force Band, I think.

Another place you could ask about the value of a Klepper Slalom is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bagboater/

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:30 am 
Just can't resist responding to a potentially serious discussion on that great American song: Chattanooga Chu Chu but I'll post it in the Coffee House and not disturb this thread anymore with non-topic remarks. Hope you find a buyer, KeithH.

Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:03 am 
Hi Keith,

Apologize, but cannot tell you what a Klepper Slalom is worth in Pounds or Euros since it i´s not a commonly traded or sought-after boat.

If you also would ship to the Continent (Germany - maybe ridiculous expensive ans senseless, In know) I would be happy to receive a PM and the price you are expecting.

Regards
Philipp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:44 am 
Hello Keith, I'm new to folders but have been around kayaks a long time. I live in London England & I'm looking for a folding double, preferably with sailing rig. Would you be prepared to send me some pictures of your boat? aquamalc@yahoo.co.uk should do the trick. Best regards M