Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:51 pm 
recent arrival

I recently was given (inheritance from old kayaking friend) a Klepper Aerius II. I've always admired these boats, and was delighted to have it. So I assembled it, drove it to a gorgeous mountain lake, and spent a fine weekend cruising clear waters. I could see why people like these: stable, reliable, aesthetically pleasing as only wood and canvas (yes, hypalon for the hull) can be. Trouble is, it's a long way to the lake and I have other boats, and I haven't used it since. So, it's for sale.

Includes the basic boat with all its parts and storage bags. Also, a sail rig (just the mainsail) with leeboards, foot rudder, etc. Also, sprayskirt and paddles. Some dry bags. What looks like a sea anchor. Other little odds and ends that I haven't figured out; they might be from a different boat, as my friend owned many.

Condition: very good, all parts intact. It had light use before I got it. For a serious buyer, I will go through everything with a careful eye and report in greater detail with close photos, but during my one use I found no defects, but it has been used so it has expected scuff marks and such. The boat was dry. Sponsons held air. I did not put up the sail.

Price: I see that an earlier posting from another seller asking $2400 has not gotten much response, I'll offer this one for $2000 plus shipping. I'm in Wyoming, and willing to deliver it if you're anywhere near my occasional driving routes. Will send more photos on request.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

That’s a good price, if it has a Hypalon hull. It looks to me like an older boat with a rubber hull, though. More photos would help nail the identification down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 pm 
recent arrival

I guess I'm not certain. I have several hypalon inflatables, and this looks similar. Do these pics help? One is the inner side of the fabric; the other outer. It's a sandwiched fabric, shiny on the outside, and the shine made me think not rubber. FWIW, it has red vinyl sponson, meaning 1970 or later. Third photo is partially assembled frame; any clues there? Thanks for your advice!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:01 am 
Site Admin

I believe you’re right. That look s like Hypalon to me. I think the switch came about in the 1980s, but more knowledgeable readers will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:19 am 
paddler

Is this boat still available? We are in Fort Collins for a few weeks and could drive up to Wyoming

Reed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:41 am 
paddler

Is this boat still available? We are in Fort Collins for a few weeks and could drive up to Wyoming

Reed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 am 
paddler

We are in Fort Collins for three weeks and should like to see it
Reed and Elaine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:31 pm 
recent arrival

Please note: the boat is still available. It's in Wyoming but I'll be driving to Wisconsin later this month (September). Free delivery to anywhere along Interstate 90/94!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:59 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

This looks like a good buy. It seems identical to my 1976 Aerius 2 although I replaced my hull some years ago. Does the spray cover have what looks like chimney closures that have pop fasteners down the left side and the spray cover is held on with sort of stainless steel clips. Someone should snap this up quick. I have two A2s so at 81 I will pass this onto a younger member . Remember any folder owners to visit me on the Scillies next year when my broken hip should be ok. Just checked, my 1977 description and price list from the Hans Klepper Corporation in New York says the hull on the A2 and the A20 were Hypalon rubber and cord hull. So it looks like Hypalon came in the mid 1970s or a little earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:26 pm 
recent arrival

October: It's getting frosty here in Wyoming, so I'm putting the boat into storage for the winter. Maybe I'll list it again in the spring but meanwhile if anyone gets an urge to paddle the outer islands of Fiji and needs a Klepper to do it... I've got a boat for you!