Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:35 am 
paddler

Greetings Bagboaters!

My name is Tim, and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I have a Folbot Citibot, which I have used on lots of day outings and a few multi-day river expeditions. Nothing so impressive as the massive journey from Germany to Australia, which seems to be getting quite popular these days… (see post about Australian lady Sandra Robson re-enacting Oscar Speck’s famous voyage a year ago), but I figure you guys might enjoy a little light reading instead!

In this post I will describe a 54 km three day solo journey that I made in the Citibot along the Goulburn River, a pretty river that runs through the middle of the state of Victoria, and flows into the Murray River, Australia’s longest river. Much of the surrounding area is now used for agriculture, but the river still supports a healthy population of platypus, which are elusive and mysterious creatures. I have seen dozens of them during the numerous paddling trips I have made on the Goulburn River, which is surprising, as the platypus remains one of Australia’s least commonly sighted animals. The surrounding area also supports a lot of kangaroos and spectacular native birds.

For those of you not familiar with the Citibot, it is a 10 foot folding kayak that weighs 24 lb, which fits into a large backpack. (sadly it seems that Folbot is no longer in operation, but that is another story that has been well documented elsewhere on this forum) I am 6’ 3” tall, and I find the kayak to be quite comfortable to paddle. However, I also weigh about 175 lb, and I had packed my tent, food and other camping gear into the boat, so I reckon the total payload (including me) would have been about 200 lb. This is getting quite close to the manufacturer’s quoted 210 lb limit in this relatively small boat. The freeboard was about 4 inches to the gunwale. Fortunately the river was not a raging torrent, so this small freeboard was not a problem.

The three day journey was a wonderful and beautiful experience. Along the way I was able to set up camp in some nice riverside places and do some fishing. I launched the kayak at the town of Seymour, and three days later, arrived in the town of Negambie. Both towns lie on a railway line, so I was able to pack up the kayak and my gear and take the train back to my starting point. That portability was the key advantage of having the folding kayak.

Hopefully I can upload a few photos for you to get a better appreciation of the trip and the setting.

Enjoy!
Tim.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:44 am 
paddler

A few photos. More below...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:48 am 
paddler

These are the last of the photos.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:50 am 
forum fanatic

Crocodiles in that part of Australia? I think it's pretty cool you took a three day trip in a boat designed for an afternoon paddle. Well done. C.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 am 
paddler

G'day Christov!

No crocodiles this far south!

Tim.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:52 am 
forum fanatic

Cruising a Citibot. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Very cool. I love the ability to paddle down a river and then catch the train home. And there are definite advantages to a lighter kayak!