Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:54 am 
recent arrival

Hi, I am trying to plan a trip to kayak the sognefjord in Norway, and I am looking for any info/ exped reports anyone has/has seen. I am looking for hints on logistics, not to miss things etc. Also if anyone has any better suggestions in that region?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:33 pm 
forum fanatic

I am flying to Norway with a boat in a few days. Had not noticed this post until now, but I will steer clear of the Sognefjord. In general, the most spectacular fjords tend to be the most challenging for kayak camping because the mountains often drop straight into the fjord. Other than that, you can find great kayak touring almost anywhere - up to the North Cape. East of the North Cape the coast is exposed and much more challenging for paddlers.

I was surprised to find a $220 air fare from Boston to Oslo. The return flight was twice as much, but even after adding some extras like baggage fee, assigned seats (to make sure we can sit together) and meals, the fare for two came to just over $1600. With the strong dollar we have had for the last couple of years, even Norway is not horribly expensive - so long as you don't indulge in fancy restaurant meals and buy your beer at grocery stores.

My paddling plans include the outer Oslo Fjord near Tønsberg and a couple of days on the fjords east of Tromsø.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:25 am 
recent arrival

Have a great trip, Norway is amazing.

I did Signefjord in that year in the end, so just for completeness of this post, it was a good trip, it took about 8 days, mostly really nice. Though I can privide more detail.

The cost was just a few bus fares and some road tolls and fuel. Camping is free in Norway, anywhere more than 50m from buildings or roads. There are abandoned and semi abandoned fishing huts everywhere, so this had to be stretched a bit. People were very friendly and when we saw people and asked where was a good place to camp they always suggested just close to their huts, they also pick up hitchers and generally can't help enough.

Tides are stronger than we estimated, especially round points, with some fruity little races locally, which you could wait to avoid.

Beautiful countryside, dolpins and mackrel.

If anyone wants details do feel free to message :-)