Backup Plan #1 - San Juans, Whidbey-Camano, or Puget Sound

A place to ask about trips you're planning

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Rob
forum fanatic

Backup Plan #1 - San Juans, Whidbey-Camano, or Puget Sound

Post by Rob »

Given the current border closure, and not knowing when or if that will be reopened anytime in the near futures (saw international travel to Canada is to remain closed thru at least Sept. 30th today), I'm thinking the islands just south of there, in Washington might be a decent choice, as a backup plan, for Americans.

I imagine they are truly wonderful to visit in their own right, so it's not like I'd really be suffering any.

I'm considering the San Juan Islands, Whidbey and Camano Island, and/or other points in Puget Sound to go sea kayaking, camping, and free-diving/snorkeling.

Intermediate level paddlers with self-rescue and group rescue experience on this trip.

I'd like to find areas that aren't too crowded and overflowing with boaters, tourists, and campers next Summer, have interesting terrain and scenic paddling, and good fishing/shellfishing/diving opportunities. It would be nice to paddle around from place to place, on a short to medium length expedition. Of course, if recommended, moving by car, and putting in at various places might work too, for day paddles, in order to get to see more of the area.

Sunshine, if available, would be nice too, but not required 100% of the time.

Ideally, it'd be nice to avoid ferries and difficult to reach areas, due to the additional expense, though I suspect that might make them less crowded, and perhaps the expense and hassle of the ferry is worth it in the end.

Any places you can think of that I've left out?

If going to Puget Sound, which areas are best for scenery, camping, less crowding, and good diving/fishing/shellfishing?

Which do you recommend, and why?

Return to “Questions and Trip Planning”